HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Moose Hunt!
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Bird Hunt Dog
Typical Buck

Default My Moose Hunt!

On my picture post some of you wanted to know more about my hunt! Well here it is.

Well the hunt was in the one of the hardest zones to Moose hunt in. It was in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area. No motorized anything. We had to pack and canoe everything we were bringing not to mention the Moose meat on the way out. It was alot of work but well worth it!

The first morning we set up on some marginal Moose sign. Moose sign was pretty hard to come by because of the warm weather and the Moose weren't rutting real heavy at first. We called for 4 hours without seeing or hearing anything, so we decided to do a little more scouting. Around 3/4 of a mile we came accross a series of beaver dams with a pretty big one on the south end of this chain!

When we were walking around a little slough north of this dam we stubled uppon a nice bull with a cow. We got him within 81 yards but couldn't get any closer. So the next couple of days we set up right were we seen that bull, but with no availe. Then we decided to do some more scouting. we did come accross another spot that had some pretty good bull sign. We set up there for one morning ant two evenings. Nothing! We decided to go back were we saw that bull and just ride the rest of our week out there. We also decided to split up! Its a party tag so you can only get one Moose per party. Are plan was to both get an arrow in one if we got a chance!
We split up and called that evening with nothing. Where I was sitting there was old
wallow. The next morning we decided to take our same spots. I hade a scent wick at 15yds and one at 30yds After around an hour of calling this small bull came out. Walked right to me I shot him at 17yds he flinched a little then procided to turn and smell the scent wick then he walked over a urinated in the wallow walked about 30yds and fell over dead! Hen didn't know he was hit. The ACC 360 at 70Lbs didn't even slow down on the way through. I never did find my arrow!

It took us 2 hours to bone him out and about 6 hours to get him to civilization! A once in a liftime Lic. And an experiance I'll never forget!

The meat is awesome! I think its better than beef! We have had loin, roast, and burgers so far and its delicious! I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go to Canada and get another next year, but I don't think ist working