Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A friend of mine is in trouble. >

A friend of mine is in trouble.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A friend of mine is in trouble.

Old 11-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Default RE: A friend of mine is in trouble.

Baggin:

I like the idea earlier on here regarding the community service idea...

Perhaps he should discuss with his lawyer the option of re-taking any hunting safety classes and participating in some outdoor specific community service as a way to try to keep his hunting privledges. He might not be able to avoid the fines, but if he's willing to work a little, maybe they'll let him keep hunting. Either way, doing some service on public lands might make the Officer happier...

Just a thought.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:00 AM

ORIGINAL: mjqood0

Baggin:

I like the idea earlier on here regarding the community service idea...

Perhaps he should discuss with his lawyer the option of re-taking any hunting safety classes and participating in some outdoor specific community service as a way to try to keep his hunting privledges. He might not be able to avoid the fines, but if he's willing to work a little, maybe they'll let him keep hunting. Either way, doing some service on public lands might make the Officer happier...

Just a thought.
That's a great idea. Perhaps he could even volunteer to go to a hunter's safety class and tell the class about his actions, the consequences and how they could be avoided by knowing the regs and abiding by them.

Thanks for your input. Great suggestion.

BB
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The area that he shot the deer in was NOT a T-zone or EAB in 2002, but it is this year. Your statement of "all zones that are EAB zones this year have been T-Zones for the past several years" is incorrect. I'm not going to point out the specific area, but according to the maps for 2002 and 2004, you are wrong.
Look , if you want good advise , dont pi$$ on my leg and tell me it's raining! Was he hunting in the CWD zone or not? What zone was he hunting in? Are you afraid to give that data?
Would you like a phone number to verify that all EAB units were zone-t units last year to prove my point? Ignorance of the law is one thing , but his excuse is even more ignorance of the law!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

The area that he shot the deer in was NOT a T-zone or EAB in 2002, but it is this year. Your statement of "all zones that are EAB zones this year have been T-Zones for the past several years" is incorrect. I'm not going to point out the specific area, but according to the maps for 2002 and 2004, you are wrong.
Look , if you want good advise , dont pi$$ on my leg and tell me it's raining! Was he hunting in the CWD zone or not? What zone was he hunting in? Are you afraid to give that data?
Would you like a phone number to verify that all EAB units were zone-t units last year to prove my point? Ignorance of the law is one thing , but his excuse is even more ignorance of the law!
My statement stands. I said 2002 not last year. If you compare the CWD and T-zone areas between 2002 (page 17 of PDF file) and 2004 you will see drastic differences in the T-zone areas.

So are you saying that ignorance of the law is no excuse? I fully understand the regulations, but that part I don't understand. Nobody's even mentioned that yet. It usually takes about 25 repetitions for me to finally understand something, and your repeat being the 26th really drove it home. I didn't realize that there were various degrees of ignorance of the law. So you're saying that not only is he ignorant, but he's really, really ignorant? It's clear to me now. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

While what he did is against regulations and is indeed wrong to do, he is not a "criminal". The whole thing was quite innocent. If last year's regulations were unchanged from last year warden would have congratulated him rather than charging him with a crime
The above quote was from your original post , and Like I said , he would have been charged with poaching deer last year as well. I believe your original post does say "last year" , not 2002.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation (personally or by association), and is there a reasonable defense?
Reasonable defense? No! Period. You asked for advice from anyone who's had any experience or association with this sort of thing and I gave it to you. Tell him to pay the fine. There is NO reasonable excuse for such a violation.

I didn't realize that there were various degrees of ignorance of the law. So you're saying that not only is he ignorant, but he's really, really ignorant? It's clear to me now. Thanks.

Smartarse! If you dont want honest answers then dont ask for advice or opinions.

You used the scenario that it would have been legal for him to do the same thing last year when it wasn't EAB and I stated that he would have been in violation last year as well which would have made his excuses (I could do that last year) illegal also , so yes I guess you could say he has two fold the ignorance!

One more time , was he or was he not hunting in a CWD zone?
Old 11-05-2004, 02:12 PM

Sorry. I misspoke when I said last year rather than the year before. My point was that the same exact actions performed at the same exact moment in the recent past would have been legal. I know this is not an excuse. It was merely an attempt to put things in perspective.

Whatever the case, you act like you've spoken the gospel of absolute advice here. Well, honestly I think your advice sucks. I came here looking for potential advice on how to minimize the charges, regardless of ethical stance. Your advice was to simply pay the full penalty of $2000 and three years of revoked hunting privileges. Maybe he ought to just drive to the courthouse and insist that his penalties be doubled, since you're so convinced that he knowingly broke the law. Maybe he ought to just own up to his responsibilities and vow to never hunt again, and as a consolation volunteer to ring a Salvation Army bell every November when he would have been bowhunting.

You've been most helpful. I'll be sure to pass on your great words of wisdom.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever the case, you act like you've spoken the gospel of absolute advice here.
Not at all! I just gave you advice based on what I've seen over the years and I wouldn't have responded again had I not seen inconsistancies in your posts!

Well, honestly I think your advice sucks. I came here looking for potential advice on how to minimize the charges, regardless of ethical stance.
Sorry booby! I should have painted a warm and fuzzy picture for you , next time I'll include chocolate and puppy dogs in my reply.

Just how many cases do you suppose the DNR see every single year where the person has a clean record and says "they didn't know" about the law. I got a fine years ago and had two tipups and a jig pole confiscated for failing to purchase a fishing license Jan 1st. Yes , thats when they expired on Dec 31st. I was off work for x-mas vacation and decided to go ice fishing on Jan 2nd , completely forgetting my license expired two days ago. Guess what , I went to court to plead my case and ended up leaving without my fishing tackle and $150 poorer.
They've heard it all I'm sure so unless your buddy gets a judge on a REAL good day he should expect the worst.

Bye
Old 11-05-2004, 05:21 PM

Sorry, no help here either....... the WI deer seasons have been a major topic in every newspaper in the state for the past 11 months, changing CWD zones, T-zones, season lengths and so on and so on. It's very hard to believe any resident hunter hasn't been aware of the possibility of changes occuring.
As for the short walleye remark, same thing, most launches have a list of fish and sizes, if not, the information is out there whether it be pamphlets or on the website, if you don't know what you're doing out there, maybe you shouldn't BE out there, eh?
Both are cases of poaching, pure and simple, and I'm not a lawyer, just a broken down truck driver. and I know what the regs say that apply to me when and where I am.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Just how many cases do you suppose the DNR see every single year where the person has a clean record and says "they didn't know" about the law. I got a fine years ago and had two tipups and a jig pole confiscated for failing to purchase a fishing license Jan 1st. Yes , thats when they expired on Dec 31st. I was off work for x-mas vacation and decided to go ice fishing on Jan 2nd , completely forgetting my license expired two days ago. Guess what , I went to court to plead my case and ended up leaving without my fishing tackle and $150 poorer.
They've heard it all I'm sure so unless your buddy gets a judge on a REAL good day he should expect the worst.

Bye
There is a perfect example of an A-HOLE Gamewarden. You obviously weren't trying to get away with anything you just made an honest mistake. In his mind, you were a harden criminal. What he should have done was taken your info and told you to correct the situtation just how a Gamewarden who ticketed my brother inlaw. He couldn't get a fishing liscense on the Sunday he came on vacation. He went fishing without it with intentions of renewing his in the morning. Of course we got checked Sunday evening and he was busted. The Gamewarden told him that he shouldn't wait until the last minute to buy one since it was 5 months into the year but let him get his new one and bring it into the station the next morning and all was forgotten.

I know good ones and I have know very bad ones. Like I stated before, they are your best friends until they can get you for something.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: A friend of mine is in trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.