Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut is on...

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Rut is on...

Western PA here... they are definitely chasing. That's all I seen last week and how I got my doe on Saturday. I was set up on the ground in a mess of fallen timber...she came in at 10 yards with her tongue hanging out and her sides heaving. A buck was right behind her but I didn't shoot him cause I didn't think he was legal (need 7 points or better here) as he only seemd to be a sixer. Turned out he was a 7 point. Anyway, he circled my dead doe lying there for about a half hour before he finally gave up and left the scene. Never got the chance to take him... Hope he comes back!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a small 6pt. come in sniffing everything in sight followed by a medium 8pt that freshened a few scrapes... he was scared off by a big bodied deer cruising in (couldn't get a look because it was too dark by that point, but what a night in the stand!)
Old 11-01-2004, 09:23 AM

I have to agree!!! Sunday morning I took my rattling bag to the woods with me. I rattled 2 times, within about 20-25 min. of each other, and the 2nd time brought two bucks in. They spared for a few minutes but went off toward a dry creek bed. All of a sudden, here they come back with a biger buck chasing them. I saw a buck make two scrapes, and rub a tree within 10 yards of my stand. That was AWESOME!!! I could have shot either of the three, but they were still a little on the small side. One of the bucks urinated right by my stand and I could smell the "rutting" odor. I think the next couple of weeks is going to be real exciting!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:30 AM

I saw an 8pt yesterday that was definitly "seeking". However, I've yet to see a scrap, and the does and little ones are still together.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The buck's seem to be running them pretty hard here in WV. Maybe not hard through the middle of the day...but early morning, and espically late evening are cruising. On the way in this evening I saw two nice 6'ers running does in the fields.

I don't know about you guy's, but on the way in from the stand I love catching the deer in the fields with the headlights and getting to see them. Just fun to see the deer, and with the bucks running them, it's entertaining.