Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rut is on...

Old 10-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rut is on...

I was coming home the other day and spotted a doe rather close to the road. So I stopped to see what she was doing....as she trotted around below the bank I noticed that a huge buck was in pursuit. So I got to thinking that the rut maybe starting here in WV even with the un-seasonable warm weather. Well after spotting the buck I got back to hunting pretty hard into the weekend, and then on my way in last night I noticed a 6 and a 4 point chasing does in a field.

So maybe the rut is in it's early stages but the bucks are cruising. And with the rain Monday/Tuesday and the low 50 degree weather coming from Wenesday on.....I think the hunting is going to get good here in WV.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Rut is on...

I have seen an increase of dead bucks and does in the past two weeks on I64 early in the morning. Hopefully, the deer activity it will pick up in the next two weeks.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:21 PM

I think your right!! I went out this morning and even tho it was way too hot for the deer to be moving, there was a massive fresh scrape that had to have been made last night! This was a new scrape but it was 2 inches deep in the soil!! The licking branch was tore all to pieces by antlers, and the scrape was soaked in urine. If those temps get down, we're in for a good one! Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in NW Indiana and This morrning I saw a doe go across the field a little fast and thought if was wierd, if it wasnt 2 min later here comes a 8pt trailing her. Then through the morrning I saw 2 more bucks following does.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from the Minnesota Camp Ripley hunt which is 2200+ bow hunters. I talked to a lot of guys, including my buddy, that saw bucks chasing does. I shot an 8point that came right in to my tinks 69. Lots of chasing going on right in the middle of the day.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm definately looking forward to the cooler temps next weekend. It has been unseasonably warm here and so far I've only seen 2 antlered bucks in my area. I've already filled 2 archery tags with does and I'm holding out for a nice buck for my 3rd tag.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a small 6 pointer work a scrape tonight and then head off into the woods with his nose to the ground, and my dad saw a nice buck running two does yesterday morning, and everyone else I talk to seems to be seeing a lot of chasing going on, and having good luck with rattling and grunting. I definitely think the bucks are in their seeking phase right now, and if the weather holds true to the forecast we could be in for some awesome hunting these next two weeks.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I will be the first to say that I'm not seeing much rutting activity as of yet. I spent the past couple of days in the woods and did not see any chasing or any bucks looking for does. Each buck I've seen has been alone, and all the does have been alone as well. I think we are a week or two away yet.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 PM

IM in central WV and tonight 10/31 i had a doe in the front yard eating under the apple tree she got kinda spooked and walked off and about 5 min later a 5 point came in under the tree and just was smelling around ,he didnt even eat any apples he just walked off in the direction the doe went with his nose to the ground
Old 10-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I watched three does browse around in a field today for nearly an hour and I kept thinking that at any moment a buck was going to come out and start pestering them. None ever did tho'.

In fact, I have yet to see a buck from my treestand.

Perhaps they are all noctural... or they are all gay... or maybe they're gay nocturnal bucks. [:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.