Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BOWHUNTING Gettin into it Hard Next Season! Need Some help >

BOWHUNTING Gettin into it Hard Next Season! Need Some help

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BOWHUNTING Gettin into it Hard Next Season! Need Some help

Old 10-26-2004, 12:51 PM

Default BOWHUNTING Gettin into it Hard Next Season! Need Some help

Hello,
I am a new member on this HuntingNet Forum thing. I have been Lurkin around for a while and yall people just seem to help one another out alot so maybe yall could pass some stuff down to me.
Well i been Deer Hunting For 3 years now being doing a little Bow Hunting and Smokepole and Rifle . SO far i have killed 2 Bucks a little 3 Pointer and a Big 8 pointer.

But anyways the real reason i am here is cause i want to Bow hunt as my main Hunting Weapon. I sold my bow and now i need a Good and Fast Bow. So my questions are this.

1.) What would be the very best and fastest bow i could buy ? Any suggestions ?
2.) Best Sites and rest money can Buy?
3.) Please just help me get pointed in the right direction.

As of now i am lookin at Mathews or Bowtech but not sure which one ? Any pro's or con's to these bows if so please let the info fly . I will post more questions to yall as i discover them. Thanks Alot Yall
Old 10-26-2004, 01:18 PM

Default RE: BOWHUNTING Gettin into it Hard Next Season! Need Some help

I am sure you will get a lot of help here.I am a handicap hunter,( I use a xbow) so I can't help with the compounds a lot.
wish you luck and hope someone will give you the answers you search for.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:20 PM

If you are leaning toward a bowtech or matthews then go shoot a buch of them one will definately feel bett to you then the rest. Either would be a good choice.

For sights I really like my vital bow gear trapper. Each pin has 3' of fiberoptics so it's extremely bright. Solid alluminum construction makes it durable and it's easy to adjust and the pins are secure and won't wiggle or vibrate free.

For a rest I shoot a TR Drop zone. I've been very happy with it's proformance. So far it's been flawless. I can't think of a thing I would change about it.

Welcome aboard. I hope you stick around a while!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 PM

If it were me and I were looking for the absolute best bow, I'd check out Hoyt, Mathews and BowTech. I have dealers for all three close, and since they are all great, I'd just shoot a bunch of different ones till one felt better. You won't go wrong with any of them.

As for sights -- I have a Trophy Ridge Micro Matrix. Not the best sight in the world, and if I were to do it all over again, I'd get a Spot Hogg. They seem to be more durable (all metal instead of the plastic on the Micro Matrix) and are well liked around here (though expensive). I think the main qualities of a sight to look at are it's construction (this thing is going to get raised and lowered through tree limbs every time you stand hunt), and it's brightness.

As far as rests are concerned, I'd really look at either a Whisker Bisquit or a drop away. There are numerous good drop aways, but I shoot a Trophy Ridge DropZone and think it's really about the best out there. Unlike their sights, this thing is made to be beaten on and have had great results with it.

Good luck on whatever you choose!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board! First off let me say that Mathews and bowtech also hoyt are great bows and about the only way you can get a fill for what you want or need is to hit the proshops and let them guys give you a hand. And like adams sead! Shoot as many bows as you can. It really does not matter what name is on it as long as you can shoot it well and be confidant with it (IMO)
Old 10-26-2004, 05:33 PM

The "Best" may just be the most expensive and you waste you money. Getting into good equipment isn't something that you do the first time around. I bet everyone here has a box or container which contains part that have been upgraded or replaced for no real reason in getting where they are now. I like my trophy ridge site and my dropzone. I shoot a Bowtech Extreme VFT and had a Hoyt before that. Mathews might be next?

See the man at the proshop and rather looking at the price tag, get the feel of several bows. Like someone has already said, one will feel the best to you. Fit is cridical if you want to shoot consistantly.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:05 PM

all of the posts so far have been great and you are well on your way to becoming a well equiped bowhunter, but one thing i would like to stress with you is stay away from the "speed trap" dont worry about how fast a bow is expecially if you are just beginning, i shoot competitive 3-D pretty much year round and do well, and the best shooters out there only shoot around 270-280 wich i believe is entirely too fast for hunting i would recomend that you keep your speed at 260 and under for hunting, as for equipment you cant go wrong with a Bowtech or a mathews for that matter although i prefer the Bowtech's i believe you get alot more for your money, i use Extreme sights on my hunting bow and love it and have a spott hog on my competion bow and absolutley hate it horrible durability, as far as rests go i have a Golden Key TKO drop away and i absolutely love it, there are alot of great rests out there, trophy taker also makes great rests as does NAP, well sorry for the long post hope i could help out and good luck!!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Spike

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD GO TO A LOCAL SHOP AND SHOOT A MATHEWS, HOYT, AND BOWTECH. BOWTECH HAS MORE BOWS THAT SHOOT FAST. ONLY ONE THING IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A FAST BOW. WATCH OUT FOR THE BRACE HEIGHT. THE SHORTER THE BRACE HEIGHT MEANS THAT IF YOUR DRAW LENGTH IS LONG YOU NEED TO HOLD YOUR SHOT LONGER WHEN YOU RELEASE, BUT IF YOU HAVE A SHORT DRAW LENGTH THE SHORT BRACE HEIGHT IS GOOD.

WELL NOW THE REST. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A REST THAT WONT LOSE YOU SPEED GO WITH A DROP AWAY REST. YOU COULD ALSO SHOOT A WHISKER BISCUIT AND ONLY LOSE AROUND 3FPS. WELL HOPEFULLY THIS HELP.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Redneck!

I agree that you need to shoot a couple of bow's from the 3 bow companies that you've chosen ,the one that feel's the best will stand out .What might be the best for me ,might not be the best for you.
I' was in this very same situation your in last year ,so that's what i did .The BowTech Patriot Dually was the bow that I ended up buying ,but these 3 companies produce nothing but the best in bow's .
The Mathew's I found a little heavy, and was a little more expensive.Don't let cost sway your decision if money is not an option.
The Hoyt was an awsome bow but I really had a hate for the riser ,but for smooth it was the best .
The BowTech was an all out speed burner ,it's got a short valley that takes a bit to get used to but I really love this bow .
I'm sure that I would have been really happy with any selection from these 3 companies because they're all top notch.

By selecting 2 choices from each of these 3 companies ,I'll garauntee that you'll find the bow that your searching for .
As for sight's I have a Spott /Hogg Real Deal and i have a Impact Archery Cosmic,I really like the Real Deal for target shooting but for hunting I'd have to go with the larger and much brighter pin from the Cosmic.Also the Cosmic was half the price of the Real Deal.
As for arrow Rest's I have used the Trophy Taker and I have a Muzzy Zero Effect on my dually now ,I find both these rest's to be equal and very good drop away rest's.

Well good luck with choosing your new bow ,I know if you choose from either of these 3 companies you won't go wrong .
Just to add there are many other good bow companies on the market today ,I'm just trying to narrow your choices down for you.

nubo
Old 10-27-2004, 05:57 AM

I shoot a Martin Phantom with nitrous cams and a spot-hogg sight.....great all around bow at a great price....the spot-hogg is a bit pricey though......