Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

butchering...

Old 10-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: butchering...

I just did one last night as a matter of fact! I will agree the foodsaver is the way to go. If you get the 11inch buy 18ft bags,That to me is great. You can cut the bags as long as you want. You get more for your money that way. no freezer burn, and vacuum sealed,
Old 10-27-2004, 04:26 PM

Thats a great post.
I have absolutley no idea of what any of the cuts are besides the backstraps but i can't afford to pay someone to butcher it for me. I throw a rope over a rafter in my barn and start cutting when all thats left is bones i quit. Does anyone know of any good online sources for deer processing? if so could you email them to me @ [email protected]
Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 PM

hell if anyone know good places to learn about butchering deer dont jus send them to SEK post them here as well. I wanna know. I been doing it for a wile now but I know there is alot better ways. My meat dont look near as good as my brothers and he takes his to a deer butcher. just cant see paying $100 to have it done after I paid $24 for a tag and whatever other costs I have for the year. could almost go out and buy meat for that price.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I usually do it myself. When I only gun hunted my uncle was the camp butcher. I watched him for a number of years & once I started bowhunting I just did it. Its not hard & just takes patience. I now make roasts, steaks & stew meat. The backstraps I usually just cut into 10" pieces & freeze like that, then cut them up right before cooking. I'll usually
Skin & quater the deer in early season & let it sit in the fridge for up to a week before I start cutting it up & take a few evenings to complete it. If ts colder out I'll hang it outside for a few days to age before skinng & quatering, but then I'll cut it all up in one session. Dont take more than 2 hours or so at a relaxed pace for me. Had a butcher do a few for us once when we got 6 between 3 guys in a weekend hunt. We did 3 & the butcher did 3. Sure seemed like we got more out of the deer than he did but maybe ours were a bit bigger, I dunno. No need to worry tho if you do it yourself.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I butcher my own. Maybee someday ill pay to have it done. I dont mind butchering but it gets me tired sometimes
Old 10-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/0...ookie%5Ftest=1

http://www.indianasportsmen.com/foru...=&threadid=201