Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...? >

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?

Old 10-25-2004, 04:21 PM

Default WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?

What would you do if you see a small 8 point buck with 2 does walking about 80 yards in the woods from your treestand? How would you try to get them to come in for a shot. I didnt have my grunt tube wiht me t the time so i grabbed my antlers and rattled at them. they looked and watched for a while but then just kept on walking...???....[&:]
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?

Well first and foremost I would probably just glass the buck because I wouldn't be interested in a small 8 pt. Secondly I would have a grunt call with me and I would use it. If that didn't work, I'd mimic a grunt with my mouth and attempt to draw the deer in. Otherwise, you simply watch them walk on by and away.

One thing I had done in the past when I wasn't getting a response with my grunt call, I had a buck walk by early in my career of bowhunting. I grunted to him and he looked but didn't come so I grunted again. He wasn't interested and kept walking. At the time I didn't carry antlers with me so what cames next is a little off the wall. I had read it in an article so I tried it. I took my arrow off the string and rattled in between my riser and my stabilizer on the bow....it spun the buck and he walked right in...and would you know, I shot over his back at 15 yards.....that was 15 years ago and I really laugh about it now.

Always remember your grunt call, try to take antlers or a rattle bag, give the arrow a try....if your not going to get a shot, you might as well try anything....unless you think you can hunt him another day and get closer.....good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pray
Old 10-25-2004, 05:47 PM

What would you do if you see a small 8 point buck with 2 does walking about 80 yards in the woods from your treestand?
I would move my climbing tree stand closer to where they are walking.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:33 AM

Stay dang quiet and still. Next hunt move the stand into 20 yard range and see where they come out. I would be very patient. If you move your stand and they are comming out 40 yards away. Wait again and move the stand closer the next time. Deer follow a pattern as long as you don't disturb this pattern they will stick to it. Once you know the pattern you can put your stand right on them. Then you'll get a great shot.

good luck