HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Rob/PA Bowyer
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF...?

Well first and foremost I would probably just glass the buck because I wouldn't be interested in a small 8 pt. Secondly I would have a grunt call with me and I would use it. If that didn't work, I'd mimic a grunt with my mouth and attempt to draw the deer in. Otherwise, you simply watch them walk on by and away.

One thing I had done in the past when I wasn't getting a response with my grunt call, I had a buck walk by early in my career of bowhunting. I grunted to him and he looked but didn't come so I grunted again. He wasn't interested and kept walking. At the time I didn't carry antlers with me so what cames next is a little off the wall. I had read it in an article so I tried it. I took my arrow off the string and rattled in between my riser and my stabilizer on the bow....it spun the buck and he walked right in...and would you know, I shot over his back at 15 yards.....that was 15 years ago and I really laugh about it now.

Always remember your grunt call, try to take antlers or a rattle bag, give the arrow a try....if your not going to get a shot, you might as well try anything....unless you think you can hunt him another day and get closer.....good luck.