Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is your hunting buddy?? >

Who is your hunting buddy??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is your hunting buddy??

Old 10-25-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Who is your hunting buddy??

I hunt with my best friend who got me into bowhunting. My dad is an avid fisherman but I'm trying to give him something to do during the fall months and come hunting. I gave him my old bow and he shoots with me a couple times, but I haven't gotten him into the woods yet.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Spike

I have many hunting buddies in my family. Many of them have taught me the ropes and helped me out a lot. But one person will always be my #1 hunting buddy and that is my grandpa. He has killed many deer most of them average deer with the exception of a 140 class buck he shot in Georgia last year. I shot my first deer my first year hunting with him. Although sometimes he does get aggrevaiting to hunt with he is my fav. person to hunt with. To tell you the truth I would rather hunt with him than some famous hunter like Michael Waddell.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:17 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

My hunting buddy during squirrel season is my 8 year old. In fact, I'm forgoing deer hunting this Saturday because he wan't to do some squirrel hunting in the afternoon. We won't be staying till dusk since it's the first day of muzzleloader season here and I don't want to take chances on something happening to my boy from a fair weather hunter when it's gettin dark. He's working on his archer skills as well. Don't tell him, but he's getting a new bow for Christmas this year.
During deer season, my hunting buddy is a friend of mine who hasn't started bow hunting yet. He owns a bow but doesn't start till Muzzleloader season. We'll gun hunt all season together once General firearms season starts. I look forward to the time when he and I can take our sons with us deer hunting.

David
Old 10-25-2004, 08:51 PM

Over the years they have come and gone. I am waiting on my 4yo for another few years. When I first moved to this area I hooked up with my wifes Uncle. A barrel of laughs to watch him; always late, forgets gear, afraid to stray more than 20 yds off the logging roads, always on the 2 way, would rather sit together and reminice, on the tailgate if he had his way. Probably why he only has 2 deer in 40 yrs of hunting. I still hook up with him on that one day during rifle season when I really don't feel like getting one!! Then there is mike the 70 yo fellow who used to be my neighbor. His story of how his hunting buddy of years passed away touched me. I felt bad so in '96 asked him to join me. Never seen an older fellow smile so bright. Every year it is like a ritual the day or two before opening rifle weekend begins I hope the phone doesn't ring because I know neither of us will get one. It always does and the wife always tells me it will and Mike will be on the other end asking where we are going opening Saturday. He's gotten lost on me, never stays where he says he will( cost me a few shots over the years) sneezes and coughs etc.. etc.. But what the heck I hope when I am his age someone will take me out with them. The phone call is only 2 weeks away. Actually, it is probably only 2 days away as muzzleloader opens here this Sat.Then my buddy Dick. He's a classic and can fling arrows or jack the lever on his .35 quicker than anyone I know and gets one every year within the same area of woods. The wifes cousin and uncle in WV who I shared laughs with last year when I was their guest and perhaps next year me and her cousin will visit a friend of mine in WI for rifle season. Maybe one of the other buddies will go to WI who knows. Finally my hunting buddy Jim. Even my 4yo calls him Huntin Buddy Uncle Jim. He got me back into bowhunting this year and I am grateful. He has been a coach and motivator. He even has talked me into going to NJ ( Original home for me) bow hunting over the Thanksgiving holiday.

So yeah I am blessed. I am sure I have my quirky issues in all of their minds as well. I wouldn't trade any of the experiences I have had with any of them. It's all part of the game we call hunting.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Mostly My Dad and a Family Friend. Occasionally I take some school friends for a hunt, and during Thanksgiving I am blessed with my brothers's presence in Southern Tier Shotgun. But 75% of the time, its Myself, or myself, my father and the Family Friend, of whome got me into Bowhunting and Turkey Hunting...what a guy!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta be my nephew Richie, his son and stepsons. We hunt every Saturday from mid October until the hunting season ends.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:16 AM

I hunt on a friend's land and he is always home when I hunt and know's where I'm at in the woods for safety. Other than that I always hunt alone. I enjoy the peace of just sitting by my self and watching the sun rise or set.