Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure. >

Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Hey adams,

Be sure to let us know how well it works.

I'm off work from Nov. 4 thru Nov. 15 and all daylight hours will be spent in the woods. I will let you know if I have any luck with it.

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM

Well I hunted over a mock scrape with an almost steamin dripper over it last night. I went out and hung it on Friday after work. I hung it about 25 feet from two active mockscrapes I made with BF Synthetics (that on Friday when I went to the site were spotless while the rest of the forrest was littered with leaves.)

I added a bit of BF rut formula to the scrape to get it started and then hung the dripper in a banch that I though was out of reach.(I'm 6' tall and had to stand on my tippy toes to hang it.) Saturday I didn't hunt the property and Saturday night was drizzle/rain off and on through out the night. I havn't seen much action on this stand in the morning so I planned to hunt it in the afternoon. I got to the stand about 1:30 with sunset about 5:10. ( I jumped 3 doe on my way to the stand [:@] ARGH! I've already changed my approach because I was jumping deer on my old approach) I got up in my stand which overlooks the scrape and it was obvious that it was already active. I could see fresh dirt dug up and on top of the leaves although there were some leaves in the scrape. The day was windy and leaves were dropping at a good pace so I wasn't real supprised. About 4:15 I saw two does out about 65 yards on a run the is perpendicular to the run I'm set up on an the scrapes are on. It appeard that when the does hit the run I'm on one went east and the other west toward me. She feed in to about 50 yards before turning and heading off toward the other doe.

So far it looks promising! The dripper I use only uses about 1oz of scent a week and it was only out for 2 days before I hunted it so it hadn't dripped much scent. The deer had hit it though which could be a result of the BF or it could be the Almost Steamin (AS). I think by next weeend it should be clear. I did notice however that the branch I hung the dripper in was hanging very low. I think a deer would have had to stand on its hind legs to reach it and that appears to be what's happened. The branch had to be 7 1/2 feet in the air when I hung it and it's now down to about 5' off the ground. To me it looks like something had had it's way with the branch.

Rac, If you've got the 4th through the 15th off don't wait. From what I've seen sofar it looks like it will be a winner. If you have a stand you plan to hunt I'd pick up 2-3 bottles of the Almost steamin and set the mock scrapes asap to let the deer find them. Start by putting 1-1.5oz of scent into the scrap and then put 2-3 oz of scent in the dripper and let it and time due their things.
Yesterday wasn't ideal for hunting here in New Hampshire. The wind was gusty and the temps were very warm and to top it off the sky was mostly clear so it stayed light right up until sunset. I'll be watching the forcast for a good overcast drizzley day when I can sit the whole day in the stand. With the rut on it's way I think this will be the best bet for me to catch the bucks moving.

Give it a go! I'll definately post back after next weekend.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 AM
mrr

Last year I had almost steamin does estous hanging on a scent wick ten yards from my stand . A doe came right under me with a nice buck behind her. She went on past and he stopped and lip curled for a long time then went over to the wick. I can't complain it stopped him and positioned him for the shot.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM

****Almost steamin update****

I hunted the stand over my mock scrapes on Saturday and Sunday evenings. Prior to the Almost steamin I had a lot of activity in my buck fever synthtic scrapes but when I arrived on Saturday it was obvious that the Almost Steamin had had a negative effect on the does that were useing the mock scrapes. I had a pair of fresh tracks in the newly fallen leaves that crossed under the still steamin dripper but the BF scrapes were void of activity. I though Saturday may have been a fluke so I hunted it on Sunday afternoon. NHBuck and I got together and hit the woods about 1:00pm. I had him set up on a heavily used run where I've seen a few does cross hopeing that he'd get an arrow into a doe at least but it wasn't to be. For the first time this year I was skunked from this stand two days in a row. The only thing that differs these two hunts from the rest of my season was the almost steamin.

Last night I set up in a staging area near a road crossing. The weather was alot more condusive to good hunting then on Saturday and Sunday. The weather was in the 30's and before the skys turned black as night fell there were snow flakes adrift in the air. Needless to say a perfect evening for hunting. This night I was working the almost steamin scent out of a spray bottle into the wind that carried along the heavily traveled edge of a swamp. The wind was swirling out near the swamp with the occasional gust over in the direction of some pretty thick narly crap the deer like to bed in. NOTHING! It may have just been one of those nights but I was pretty optimistic with the perfect weather and set up in a heavily used location but it just wasn't meant to be.

So I can only offer this advise.
Don't use the Almost steaning for extended periods of time out of a dripper. It appears to chase the does off and IMO does are key to rut hunting.
Don't use it out of your prime stand if you are planning on taking does.
Don't get it on you, it smels like crap and is almost impossible to get off

If you're seeing good rutting activity it would be a good time to mist the air with a spray bottle. If not I'd personally pass on using it. I've personally seen in my area a much better responce to the BF Synthetic line. I'd definately recommend the BF to anyone looking for a good scent that dosn't spook deer.

Adams
Old 11-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info adams! I went out sat night and bought a little bottle of almost steamin, I put in in a small spray bottle. and went out sunday morning. But never even used it. I was headed for an area that has some very large rubs and 4-5 very fresh and well used scrapes. But never made it that for. I started jumping deer before i ever got that far before daylight so i found a tree next to another well used trail and climbed up to ariund 20-25 ft up. After about 20 min i had two doe`s come down the trail and hung around for a few min then eased Away from me and went on there way down the trail away from me. Nothing else for about two hr. then another single doe came from the same direction the other two went. after she past nothing else. I am planing to hunt fri, sat, and sun. I did not use any still steamin yet and from what you have sead! I will most likely pick up something different? The last thing i want to do at this point is start spooking doe`s[&:]