Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer get used to a lure?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do deer get used to a lure?

Do deer get used to a lure such as Code Blue or Tink's 69 and start to ignore it? Or are they atttacted to it no matter how many times you use it?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do deer get used to a lure?

They do from my experience.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Big Papa.
In my experience (sadly, only 8 years of hunting) they ignore some scents (like Tinks etc...). I have tried using these products, followed all the directions, and have had no luck at all. Who knows if they work. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I saw this stuff called Doe in Heat, and it comes in a spray can that spits out silly string like material 20 ft from Away hunting. I don't know if it will work, but I'd sure like to point it in the direction of my hunting buddies. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I believe they do.... the last few years bucks would absolutely ignore my tinks 69.... 5 years ago they would come check it out at least. This year I changed to some dated stuff.... not sure of the name... bottled "exclusively for 2007" and one bottle = 1 doe.....
it has worked GREAT!!!! I had three sifferent bucks come cruising in with their nose in their air looking for it.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Its certainly not magic in a bottle. I think people use too much of the stuff at the wrong times. When it doesn't work they cuss it. The truth isyou can put it out 20 times and it not work, the 21st time a buck could catch the trail and come investigating.

Drag lines are more effective than just pouring it around your stand. cover more ground and increase your odds of a trolling buck crossing your scent trail.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I've been using Tink's this year but I'm thinking of changing it up to something different and using more than one brand just so I'm not using the same stuff. I'm thinking that if I use whatever too much it will help the deer pattern me. Which is not good.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM

IMHO, they only work at the right time of the rut. From what I've seen, it will actually scare them away if used at the wrong time of the rut. Deer are instinctual and if they smell it at the wrong time, they will spook and leave the area. At least, this is what I have experienced doing some rudimentary testing of the stuff. From what I can tell, it looks like it is most effective in the last few days before peak rut hits and the first few days after the rut starts to tail off.

Here's how I did my testing:
I took one of those bathroom automatic sprayers (they spray freshener every 9, 18, or 36 minutes) and painted it using some home-made camo patterns. I set it for spraying every 36 minutes and put a spray bottle full of Code Blue estrous spray in it. I also set up a game camera on the same tree. I left this rig out for about 6 weeks over a known scrape area (2 weeks before rut, est. 2 weeks during rut, and 2 weeks after rut would normally end in central GA) where I hunt and checked it each week to make sure the spray bottle didn't run out. Before the rut, scrape activity was minimal and I only had a few pictures... mostly does. During rut, I filled up the memory card in the camera and I had a 60-40% mix of bucks to does. Post rut, I had about the same mix of bucks to does (60-40) for the first few days, then it tapered off quickly after about 3-4 days after the rut had ended (my estimate), then back to the typical "just a few pictures".

So, I will use scents, but only starting a few days before, during, and a few days after the rut.

I could be WAAY off base on how I tested them, but, I'm not a scientist, biologist, or game expert. Just a simple computer geek that likes to experiment and see what works in my area.

Cheers!
MadOtis
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I think So. you have to figure how smart they are and if he fell for a scet before and got shot at it isn't going to happen again unless you shot the dumb dumb of all the deer, lol I personally have been tring every scent known to man bui the 40-50 dollar stuff and it hasn't worked for me I persoanlly don't see deer when I use it but do when I dont, so save your money I personally think its a waste of money for state land hunting anyway. keep your gear outside or ina bag of leaves at all times and be scent free you'll see more trust me.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM

I have never used lures. I just sit and be quiet.