Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure. >

Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Just curious if anyone has used the Almost Steamin' synthetic lure? If so what were the reaction of the deer?

In theory it seems like a good idea.
Stays fresh
Good from year to year
Cheaper........

Please any thoughts or opinions you may have.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

I tried it out. I'd never buy it again. It got zero reaction from anything, does bucks or fawns. The best thing I can say is it didn't spook'em. Yes it was cheap and there-fore you could use liberal amounts, but I think I could have dumped water and got the same reaction.

This is just my opinion. Feel free to try it for yourself.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I was just curious because I know they can duplicate every other kind of scent there is .......... why not doe in heat.
LOL....I came home the other day and I could of swore the wife baked me a apple pie ............turns out it was a candel burning......LOL

Do you think the real thing would work better than a synthetic? If yes, why??
Old 10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the real thing is better. I don't think we can fathom the ability of a deers nose. It is written that a drug sniffing dog can detect 1oz of marjuana submerged in a gallon of gasoline and the "experts" believe a deer's smelling ability is at the very least this good. With this in mind, I believe that they can detect a difference in synthetic vs real.

I don't know I just try whats been succesful in the past and for me, it's trails end. I would like to try the Standing estrous from code blue, but i have a hard time parting with $39 for deer pee.

If someone wants to do a kinky expirement based on the thread that deer cannot tell the difference between human and deer pee, have the wife or GF pee in a bottle near "her time" and see the results.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Well since there is not wrong answer here and I'm just looking for some opinions.....think about this.
I understand what you are saying about how good a deers nose is........ but think of this.

As you said a drug sniffing dog can smell drugs even in gas.....and when he does a good job he gets a nice little treat. Now think of that big buck....He only gets to ....lets say take care of business a few times a year if he is lucky. So if I put myself the the bucks place, when the time nears for the doe's to breed. If something even kinda smells like a doe in heat I'm going to go check it out.

As far as the Standing Estrous from Code Blue .....I don't really understand why they make such a big deal out of it being from a single doe. Again if I'm buck looking for a mate, the only thing better than finding a doe in heat..........would be finding 2 or 3 does in heat.

I know alot of people use Tink's 69 and have great success with it but it is very brown looking and I find it hard to believe that it smells the same way when we buy it that it smells when it comes out of the deer. It just seems to me that they could make a synthetic scent that would smelll fresh.

Oh well I really need to be in the woods instead of here at work......LOL........I think too much when I'm here..

Good luck to all!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:07 PM

I've had good responce to the Buck Fever line of synthetic so I wouldn't be to quick to condem all synthetics. I'm actually couious about this line of scents I've never heard of them but I'm willing to try them out. If you can post a link to were I can buy some I'll make another mock scrape right next to the BF scrapes to "challenge" the other mock buck and see what happens.

If I didn't scare them I'll give it a go.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Adams,
The local Wal-Mart has it here in WV. The Still Steamin' real scent is about $10 a bottle and the Almost Steamin' synthetic is $5 a bottle they are made by Scent Blocker.

If you try it, let us know how it works for you.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:22 AM

I put some out last weekend and saw enough to make me want to try it again. I was set up near a well mowed tractor path that cuts through some pretty thick stuff & parallels a creek. The deer travel on this path & then have several places where they cross the creek. I hung out some of the Almost Steamin’ and had a very nice buck come in down the path from my left, past some of these creek crossings. He walked right up to where I had placed the scent & milled around there for a while. After a minute or so he walked back down the path a ways & crossed the creek so I think this scent made him curious enough to pass up the turn he was planning to make & brought him in closer to me. Only problem was that I hung the scent in the dark & where he stopped the only thing I could see was his head & neck at 38 yards. If I had hung that scent just a few more feet to the right this story would have a whole different ending.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:25 AM

Adams,
The local Wal-Mart has it here in WV. The Still Steamin' real scent is about $10 a bottle and the Almost Steamin' synthetic is $5 a bottle they are made by Scent Blocker.
I guess another trip to my local walmart is in order. I know it's gonna cost me more then 10$ though. I can't get within 10 isles of the sporting good dept without seeing something I can't live without.

I'll pick some up and report back next week after I get a chance to see the results.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:25 PM

Well I've got what I need and was able to get aout of wally world only spending 15$ I picked up a 2oz bottle of asmost steamin synthetic and a new clean scent dripper. I'll hang it tomorow and hunt it Sunday evening.

Results to follow soon.

Quick Reply: Almost Steamin' - Synthetic deer lure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.