Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm kicking myself now >

I'm kicking myself now

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm kicking myself now

Old 10-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm kicking myself now

I've been at this for a long time and I should know better.

Tomorrow is the early muzzleloader opener in MD. So tonight I was out attempting to harvest another deer before they get severely spooked over the next week and a half.

Except for a Mexican standoff with a large doe on the way in, I hadn't seen anything and really didn't expect to until 5:00pm or so. At about 4:40pm I was reading "Our Daily Bread" when I stopped to survey my surroundings. When I looked behind me, I just about fell out of the tree beause there was a very large buck with a trophy rack standing directly behind me! I slowly stood, was able to retrieve my bow from it's hanger and even turn completely around without being seen -- the tree I was in is a huge old white oak completely leafed out and I blended in perfectly. The buck seemed a bit cautious and was just standing there broadside.

That's when I got stupid.

I wasn't really in a position to reach full draw with good form, but I really wanted this buck. He was a very, very wide 8 point with tons of mass and decent -- if not too long, tines. His neck was already pretty swollen and his body was massive. I drew on him anyway and he looked my way as I reached full draw. My bow arm was being kept from extending to the left by the tree so I altered my form which I now realize kept me from hitting the wall at full draw. I also was unable to bend forward at the waist -- and then I hit the release! I watched the arrow sail right over his back and he jumped forward about 3 steps.

We played "I think I see something in that tree, but I'm not sure" for the next 5-10 minutes. At one point I even was able to get another arrow on the string. He helped me to look stupid by actually stepping partially out of the brush he was in so I could draw again and (like a complete beginner) FORGET that he was going to duck. This arrow just missed him as I repeated the bad form AND watched him jump the string!

Tomorrow morning, I'll be back in that stand with my bow while everyone else will have the smokepoles with them. Even if he makes it through all that, my best chance is gone and I plead insanity.

While waiting for it to get dark, I think I heard other hunters setting up stands on either side of me. That sucks!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM

Default RE: I'm kicking myself now

Man that is a really sad story.[&o][&o]

Hopefully he comes back for you.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:20 PM

Man I feel your pain. Don't beat yourself up too bad (although I know you probably will). There will be others.[&:]
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave!

I can well imagine just exactly how3 you feel ,I'll bet you haven't stopped thinking about the shot's since you left the bush, and I'll bet you don't sleep very well tonight either .Great story with a sad ending .Thing's have a way of correcting themselve's ,so I'll almost bet you;ll make up for it before the season's over .Good Luck to you on the rest of the season.

nubo
Old 10-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

That's not a SAD story. It's a hunting story. Ya got to love it when they win. Those big ole rascals just have a way of staying alive sometimes. Some of my fondest memories are of the ones that got away. Of course they'll never replace "TWACK"... but they add variety and spice to life.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

OH Yeah......the best part of hunting!!!![:@]
Old 10-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why we call it "Deer Hunting" and not "Deer Killing". Hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it....lol....Good Luck on your next chance.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Dave your acting paraniod. Yes, the end stuffers are coming but I will choose the bow everytime. Relax, it's just getting good. I've only had two hunts in MD but more are coming. I had no clue it was black powder already. Oh well, they won't effect my hunting. In fact I enjoy going hunting with them or even the modern gun hunters. I'm still confident I can show them up with my bow. I've done it many times after they question why I would bring my bow to a gun fight.

It sucks coming up short but rule number one for shooting big deer, you must see them first!

Good luck, PMA goes along way.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:25 AM

Ohhh Dave I'm crying for you. One miss is tough but the second has got to hurt. I guess that's why we call it hunting, there are no guarentees in the woods.

I'd chalk this one up to experience and hope for another close incounter. Who knows, that may have been a blessing. His big bro may be the one who make a fatal mistake in front of you. I sure hope so!

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave your not alone! Every bowhunter sometime or another has had something like what happened to you, happened to them.I know i have[&:] hang in there The worst part is? You will never forget it! Just chalk it up to bowhunting experience LOL-He won round one! Now you need to win round two

Quick Reply: I'm kicking myself now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.