Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I just couldn't do it..... >

I just couldn't do it.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I just couldn't do it.....

Old 10-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I just couldn't do it.....

I went out this afternoon and got in my stand about 4. I had been hearing things all afternoon hoping that they would be deer then to find out that they were just squirrels messing around. At about 5:45 i heard something from the East and sure enough it was a doe. I was telling myself that today if I saw a doe i was gonna take her because it would be my first bow kill, let alone my first deer so i was excited. After she crossed the creek about 10 yards from my shooting lane, 2 fawns came up behind her. At this point she was turned around waiting for them to catch up. After seeing this i was contemplating the shot keeping in mind never shooting a deer before. She came into my lane broadside at about 15 yard with the 2 fawns close behind. I raised my bow into shooting position and I just couldn't do it. I had that 15 yard shot for about 20 minutes and just sat there and did nothing but watch. Finally they walked away leaving me with a bittersweet feeling. I felt good because I didn't take momma away from her babies but i felt dissappointed because I could have taken her but didnt. She was a biggen too. What would yall have done?
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 PM

Default RE: I just couldn't do it.....

congrats kill it n grill it in my opinion you did the right thing and I know that I would have done the same thing shooting does with fawns in my opinion is not right fawns need there mothers to show them the ropes before they can survive. so that next year they can be fair game(tasty game)
Old 10-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

imo you did the right thing, i go for solatary does or does with yearlings, a doe with fawns will be easy to tell by the size, her fawns should be much smaller. a single deer by itself is usally the toughest to judge, the does will be running the young ones off soon, because she'll be ready to breed again. i know this probably dosent answer your question but i say you made the best choice, your first one will come soon though......

best of luck the rest of the season
Old 10-17-2004, 11:19 PM

Well, I'll be the bad guy I guess. Rut is going to be starting in two weeks, give or take. At that time momma will be literally kicking the fawns away from her. I would have taken the shot.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 AM

Everyone's different, but I would have taken the shot. The fawns would have been yearlings, and, as was stated above, would be out on their own within 2 weeks anyway. They pretty much know the ropes already. But hey...I did the exact same thing a few years back and passed, only to learn later that the yearlings would be on their own anyway really soon, and that they really didn't need momma anymore. She would be kicking them away to go breed again soon, anyway. You made the right call, though, if you felt like you didn't want to take the shot. I now regret not shooting at that doe a few years ago, but its a lesson learned and it formed for me a new standard in what shots I will and will not take...which is a good thing...I know now that if that shot presents itself tomorrow, I'll take the doe. That experience helped me develop more of my hunting code.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

She'd be cut up and in the freezer by now.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't have shot her. I would have shot the two fawns.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:10 AM

IMO i would have held off too. for 2 reasons. first, like stated above, i think the fawns still need there momma to help em survive as long as possible. the second reason is the rut will be here before you know it and the more does you have walkin around you means more chances for mr. big to be following one. just my 2 cents. tough decision though, i've been there and i did the same thing by holding off on the shot.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:25 AM

To each his own IMO if you feel good about the decision not to shoot her you made the right decision. Hunting IMo should be done for one's own self. With that said I'd have taken her. The fawns are no longer fawns at this time of year. There skippers and perfectly capiable of surviving on their own.

Either way I'm glad you feel good about the decision.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:58 AM

I would have taken her. Like everyone else already said she will be kicking out her fawns within the next few weeks anyway. Plus the less does during the rut the more a buck has to search for one, which means more of a chance he is going to wonder by your stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.