Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks >

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Old 10-21-2004, 06:14 AM

Default RE: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Hello all. I have a question for wolfen68......How long is your gun season, shot gun, muzzle loader, and pistol season. I also would like to know can you take more than 1 buck per year in your state, if you can not take more than 1 buck how long has this rule been in? If you would let me know the total days for fire arm season total. Thanks for your time,
Old 10-21-2004, 07:28 AM

here's part of the problem: my neighbor and i went hunting to a county a few over. he got a 4 pt. it was nice bodied, got 80 lbs of meat. i'm guessing 2.5 yrs old. he was very proud. his cousin told him it was an older deer. he believed him and felt more proud. i had to explain that it was a baby, that they don't even start to decline until around 9. problem is no one has seen an even a 5 yr old buck around here and these guys have no idea even how old the animals they hunt can get, or how big. he said "what's a brisket." they won't shoot doe. i have just about got the qdm concept explained to them. there's a petition going around for the dnr to not allow anything less than 3 pts per side, but these people don't even understand anything. my neighbor has a spike mounted on his wall. if you'ld have shot the doe that spike wouldn't be leaving. oh, that makes sense. it takes having the conversation for people to choose. people have it in a crappy way from behind a computer because they are frustrated. with my neghbor and his family i have to be nice about it. turns out someone from his job is having the same conversation with him. hunters need to get educated about it and that happens grass roots style. keep up the conversation please, maybe try being a little nicer, like it was your neighbor, but please keep it up.

on another note, what's so wrong with giving back to the deer community by making them some high quality food plots. you're giving them more poundage than you take from them. its a mutual relationship. more better food means more deer for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. nothing wrong with public land hunters either, but i think you should also try and help the populations health one way or another with some kind of supplement. don't just be a taker. we've already seen where that leads.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sneekky

thats the problem wolfen you totally missed the point.If you were offended by what i wrote all i can say is the truth does sting sometime.If you were one of the people that are raining on some poor guys day just because what he killed wasnt up to your super natural standards.Cant people just say congrats and go on about there business?Why is it your place to say anything to anyone about the deer they killed in a negative light?If they are happywith the animal they killed that should be good enough for you.For the record wolfen i mentioned NO names in my first post so it must have hit home with you so that only leads me to beleive you feel that you were the jerk.

I was joking about being "offended"...and I apologize if you took offense to my remark about you resembling V.D. I have no clue what the he!! you are talking about in regards to me "raining on some poor guys day"...I only made a general observation in my original post. It is all you short man syndrome or little buck syndrome crybabies putting the spin on the issue. Why it would take "super natural standards" in order to shoot does and mature bucks is beyond me. And the argument about wanting to practice QDM but not because the neighbor will just shoot it anyway only means that your state needs to have mandated antler restrictions.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: triplespool

Hello all. I have a question for wolfen68......How long is your gun season, shot gun, muzzle loader, and pistol season. I also would like to know can you take more than 1 buck per year in your state, if you can not take more than 1 buck how long has this rule been in? If you would let me know the total days for fire arm season total. Thanks for your time,
Muzzleloader...Sept 11-24 & Dec 1-12
Firearms...Dec 1- Dec 12
Archery...Oct 1-Nov 30 & Dec 13-31

Only (1) buck per hunter allowed per year and it's been that way for at least the 14 years I've been hunting and as far as I know, it's always been that way.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

here's part of the problem: my neighbor and i went hunting to a county a few over. he got a 4 pt. it was nice bodied, got 80 lbs of meat. i'm guessing 2.5 yrs old. he was very proud. his cousin told him it was an older deer. he believed him and felt more proud. i had to explain that it was a baby, that they don't even start to decline until around 9. problem is no one has seen an even a 5 yr old buck around here and these guys have no idea even how old the animals they hunt can get, or how big. he said "what's a brisket." they won't shoot doe. i have just about got the qdm concept explained to them. there's a petition going around for the dnr to not allow anything less than 3 pts per side, but these people don't even understand anything. my neighbor has a spike mounted on his wall. if you'ld have shot the doe that spike wouldn't be leaving. oh, that makes sense. it takes having the conversation for people to choose. people have it in a crappy way from behind a computer because they are frustrated. with my neghbor and his family i have to be nice about it. turns out someone from his job is having the same conversation with him. hunters need to get educated about it and that happens grass roots style. keep up the conversation please, maybe try being a little nicer, like it was your neighbor, but please keep it up.

on another note, what's so wrong with giving back to the deer community by making them some high quality food plots. you're giving them more poundage than you take from them. its a mutual relationship. more better food means more deer for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that. nothing wrong with public land hunters either, but i think you should also try and help the populations health one way or another with some kind of supplement. don't just be a taker. we've already seen where that leads.

Freakin' great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

It is all you short man syndrome or little buck syndrome crybabies putting the spin on the issue.
It's comments like this one right here that killed what could have been a good thread about a some pretty good topics. You guys all need to learn how to have a discussion without it resulting in namecalling and finger pointing. Until that happens, consider posts like this locked.