Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks >

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Old 10-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

As delicately as possible I would like to touch on something that doesn't quite make sense to me. Why would one enter a "big buck" contest and then shoot a baby deer? It's kind of like entering a NASCAR race with a car that has no engine. I personally don't support shooting immature bucks due mainly for my support of QDM and it's principles but if a guy wants to and it's legal then that is that and it's their business, but I can't imagine why one would want to shoot a baby buck and then enter it into a "big buck" contest.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

I know exactly what you mean but I also understand not everywhere has large bucks. Someone who shoots a 70" or 80" deer might be a good buck for their area or they may figure because of the amount of time they have to hunt that it may not get any better. I can understand and respect that.

But, what I don't get is why after shooting a buck someone who states that are meat hunting would pass on 3 does and then shoot a spike. IMo that is ludicrious. If you are meat hunting it is more beneficial to the herd to shoot a doe or two and let the bucks grow.

I do not buy into the "it's a buck and any buck is better then a doe" mentality. If it's legal so be it but I wish others could see the light.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 AM

I think a blanket statement like that is very unfair to the people that dont practice QDM. Not everyone has access to private land where they can setup their own game management plan. For a hunter that has limited time and hunts weekends on public land, his little forkhorn maybe a trophy to him. Some bowhunters do not have the same detication as others and are happy to kill any buck. I dont think its right to judge any hunter for an animal he decides to take, if he is happy with his spike then thats all that really counts. I dont think he should have everyone degrading his kill and ramming QDM down his throat.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Lefty...I totally understand that some folks don't have the quality of deer to hunt as others and I respect that. However, if QDM were practiced then perhaps more would have better quality herds to hunt. I can understand a guy who hunts and kills a 115 class buck because that is a mature buck in his area and that is something to be proud of and all, but killing immature bucks doesn't make sense to me.[] Not ramming QDM down anyone's throat...but give it time and your DNR will if they already haven't. As far as the time constraints argument....that dog won't hunt. It's early in the season even if one is limited to weekends only hunting. Regardless it's not excuse to kill the first buck that walks by.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to Practice QDM as much as I can.. I support it..

I wish Michigan would go to a ONE buck law and have it 3 or 4 points on ONE side or better to be legal.. As of now they have 2 bucks, One can be anything and one has to be 4 points on one side or more..

They also dont give out enough doe tags..

My problem is, where I live, If you let a 110 or better class deer go, the guy on the next 40 shoots it.. For example, the deer I shot this year, i scored it at 107. I passed it up once and decided the second time I better shoot it. Reason being, the kid next to less than a 40 away would have shot it. He actually came to my house to see what i shot and I showed him and he said, well I would have shot it anyways if you didnt..

It nearly impossible for a deer to survive up here.. Especially past rifle season.. Rifle season up here makes me sick to my stomach.. I can't go ANYWHERE without seeing some Orange Blob.. I dont even hunt rifle season barely anymore.. I just take the girlfriend or my dad hunting and try to do the best I can for them.. YOu have to constantly worry about stepping on someones toes.. And its starting to get like that bowhunting too..

Another problem we have.. I feed deer in my yard. The neighbor shoots them at night.. NICE.. Next to him a kid i know hunts and shoot EVERYTHING.. He shot the Nine point that was coming to my yard.. It should have been let go.. I could have shot it if I wanted, but I elected not too..
People ride around on the roads constantly where I live and shoot deer.. One kid was riding around the day before season trying to shoot the bucks I feed in my yard. He didnt even have a license yet, one arrow with a RUSTY broadhead..

Thats that crap I deal with here in BESSEMER, MI...

So tell me how I am supposed to practice QDM, when one person who owns 100 acres wont let you hunt, cuz the deer are there pets.. The next 40 is a person who Preaches, BROWN ITS DOWN, and I'm on the next 40 passing up deer..

Just can't be done until the DNR does something..

AND THE MICHIGAN DNR CAN BLOW ME, Cuz they suck..

People are shooting Wolves illegally here now, cuz they are getting overpopulated and everyone is getting mad because they are seeing less and less deer..

So, I try to do my part for QDM.. but it aint much..

Old 10-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As delicately as possible I would like to touch on something that doesn't quite make sense to me.
Since when did you start putting things delicately? The must be a new word you learned
Old 10-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

OUCH!!! That does suck Mathews...but would your DNR suck less if they did more? I'll never understand a state that allows more than (1) buck per year per hunter...rifle, muzzleoader, shotgun, x-bow, or archery. Seems like a sure-fire way to decimate a deer herd![:'(] Good luck to you!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Since when did you start putting things delicately? The must be a new word you learned

LOL!!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM

I am going to have to side with Lefty on this one but at the same time keep an open mind to everyone else. I grew up and prodominitley hunt in the state of PA. Until recently they did not have a QDM program in place nor did they have combined season for buck and doe. Before this was in place you had to shoot a buck and a buck only and it did not matter the size as long as one of the spikes was at least 3 inches. I saw some of the biggest smiles on guys faces that shot a small buck or spike because the hunt was exciting and it put meat on the table. It was personal preference then. If there is not a law or QDM in place there will always be people shooting the little bucks but hopefully for all of the right reasons. That is my stand. Happy hunting to everyone.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know better than to enter a big buck contest(i'm the poster-boy for Murphys' law)--i figure if i'm not in a big buck contest it's gotta be a sure thing that i'll get the biggest buck around![8D]

Quick Reply: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.