Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks >

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Old 10-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

As far as fences in Kansas...as far as I know, they do not exist. Your knowledge of basket racks is frightenly wrong leading me to lend zero credibility to anything further you can offer....
I am gonna have to second wolfen on this one. There may be a high fence in Kansas but if there is I have never heard of it and well your "opinion" on shooting the baskets helping the herd well....................................that's so rediculous that I won't even bother to comment on it.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt NO "management area" but where I hunt you can bet that nobody will be shooting any young bucks.
But if you think about how many flippin' trips I've made to the woods, how many hours I've logged in a tree, how many hours I've logged scouting all year round, how much work I've put into supplementary food plots...
Sounds like you hunt "management areas" to me. I have nothing against that , but dont try and make it sound like your going on public land and really hunting that big buck!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:57 PM

Some of you public land hunters crack me up

"If you dont kill your deer on an OTC unit that has 500 orange coats chasing deer from hill to hill then your not a real hunter and your shooting "pet/tame deer"........... I have two words for you guys SHUT UP

You guys might look down your nose at guys who hunt private land and or managed land, but down here its the exact opposite. Around here most of us get quite a laugh reading stories and pictures from ya'll.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:59 PM

Silentassassin,

Have you ever heard of bad genetics ie a four + year old four point with a 10" spread and small tines, that is what I call a basket rack. It is good to eliminate those genetics from the heard. It allows the good genes from the larger bucks to be the dominate genes with-in a given heard and reduces the possibility of having small crab clawed bucks.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM

Hyde your last post is correct, but earlier you made it sound as if all basket racked bucks should be killed. Down here we try and take as many cull/management bucks as we can each year. I have a friend who manages a 10,000 acre ranch along the Mexico border, this year they will be taking 80 cull bucks and 150-250 does off of the ranch. But bucks should only by culled if they are mature and have a poor set of antlers compared to the other bucks of similar age. Personally we consider anything that is 6 1/2 years old or older that scores 145" or less a cull buck and/or anything with 9 or less points regardless of score a cull buck.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

HYDE,

We ALL realize the importance of removing inferior genetics from the herd! However, based on some of your comments in the above posts about other related hunting topics I'm seriously doubting that you know what a "management" bucks looks like anyway? You're probably shooting yearling bucks!?!? And seriously, IF you actually have 4 1/2 year old bucks with 10 inch spreads,....... than you can have ALL the deer in MT. I don't evevn think those kind of deer don't exist here? As I've mentioned, I understand your point about "cull bucks" but try to think a little before posting. Thanks and good huntin'
Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

"If you dont kill your deer on an OTC unit that has 500 orange coats chasing deer from hill to hill then your not a real hunter and your shooting "pet/tame deer"........... I have two words for you guys SHUT UP

Oh O.K. sparky! I cant argue with such a thought out response.

You guys might look down your nose at guys who hunt private land and or managed land, but down here its the exact opposite. Around here most of us get quite a laugh reading stories and pictures from ya'll.
When you say "down here it's the exact opposite" , are you saying private/managed land hunters look down their nose at public land hunters? At least you have the balls to say it , because that seems to be the norm everywhere.

My problem is people telling other hunters what they should be proud of and what they shouldn't.
I dont recall anyone saying anything about pet/tame deer either , maybe they did and I just missed it , anyway heres how I look at it..If you have a trout pond full of trout and you only catch and release for years until they grow huge and then you catch that whopper and put it on your wall , the way I see it you just grew your trophy. I dont see any difference in managing hunting land for the strict purpose of producing huge bucks. If thats your thing then go for it and have fun but dont expect everyone to do your thing.
And for the record , I do hold more respect for the hunter that puts his time and effort in public/un-managed land and gets a 125" buck -vs- the hunter that harvests a 150" buck that he/she grew.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:46 PM

And for the record , I do hold more respect for the hunter that puts his time and effort in public/un-managed land and gets a 125" buck -vs- the hunter that harvests a 150" buck that he/she grew.
Bowfanatic:

Well right there is where we disagree. Personally I have more "respect" for the guy who shot the 150" then the guy who shot the 125". Why you ask?? Well because they guy who killed the 125" simply walked out on public land, did alittile scouting I'm sure, set up a blind, and probably killed the first decent buck that walked by. Whats the big deal??

The guy who killed the 150" probably put alot more time into hunting then the other guy. This hunter had the will power and restraint to hold off on smaller less mature bucks, and he took the time and money to "grow his buck" while the other guy simply found a buck that the other public land hunters over looked or missed.

Why should the public land hunter be held on a higher pedestal just because he killed an immature buck that some how avoided the orange army?? If anything its more luck then skill........
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well right there is where we disagree. Personally I have more "respect" for the guy who shot the 150" then the guy who shot the 125". Why you ask?? Well because they guy who killed the 125" simply walked out on public land, did alittile scouting I'm sure, set up a blind, and probably killed the first decent buck that walked by. Whats the big deal??
Your assuming the guy hunting public/non-managed land did alot less work than the guy who hunts private/managed land , why? You make it sound like public land hunters "do a little scouting" , walk out and plop down in their blind and just hope they get lucky. Say for the sake of arguement that the public land that this particular hunter is hunting holds very few and far between 125" bucks , but he scouts one , patterns him throughout the summer , sets up his stands in the correct spot , and then harvests his intended trophy. Through your eyes this hunter gets less respect than the hunter who hunts private/managed land and has spent the last decade growing trophy bucks and harvests a 150" buck?

The guy who killed the 150" probably put alot more time into hunting then the other guy. This hunter had the will power and restraint to hold off on smaller less mature bucks, and he took the time and money to "grow his buck" while the other guy simply found a buck that the other public land hunters over looked or missed.
Again , your using alot of "probably's" and assumptions.

Why should the public land hunter be held on a higher pedestal just because he killed an immature buck that some how avoided the orange army?? If anything its more luck then skill........

I'm not asking for anyone else to put anyone "on a pedestal" , it's simply my opinion.

As for your "more luck than skill" comment , it just shows your arrogance and attitude towards public land hunters.
#1. There is no "orange army"during bow season. I am talking bowhunting here.
#2. Your making it sound like all public land hunting is elbow to elbow. Maybe there , but not here in our national forests. I've gone an entire season without seeing another hunter on more than one occasion.
#3. Assuming in my scenario the hunter was hunting crowded public land and had his sights set on a "leftover" 125" buck , how would his success be based on luck any more than the hunter who shoots his home grown 150"?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:05 AM

The really sad part of all of this is what if just what if this is a young kid 13 14 15 and its his first year hunting has never killed a deer in his life.Hes so excited that he got to be in this tourney.He gets a shot makes a clean kill and is very proud of his first bowkill.NO its not a monster but cant any of you jerks remember when you got your first kill?you would shot the first thing you saw and iam dam sure you probally did.NOW all you AZZHOLES can do is jam it down his throat that what he did wasnt good enough for you. To all the jerks that couldnt get past there own OVER inflated egos and just tell the kid good job yous a poor excuse for a human.

Quick Reply: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.