Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No Time for the woods. >

No Time for the woods.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No Time for the woods.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:45 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

Default No Time for the woods.

I spent 6 hours hunting on opening day. I have some vacation time saved up but don't know if it'll do me any good. 3 kids. 2 of them I have to put on the bus in the morning before I go to work so if I take a day off I can't leave the house till 9 which means I won't get to the woods till9:15 or 10 depending on where I go. Saturday's are getting squeezed because the boys have soccer games and my daughter has school functions that require parental participation. How many of you find yourselves in this position? It kills me. I love hunting, but I love my family more. something's got to give on this.
maybe I can work in the morning, and do some evening hunts. This blows.

David
Old 10-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: No Time for the woods.

Try not to get too mad. When this happens to me I just remind myyself of priorities and try not to get too self-absorbed in my needs. Family is always number 1.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BobCo19-65, family is always #1. But at the same time you still need time for yourself. I now have a 10 month old at home and my wife and I do our best to give one another time to do our own things. I've learned that communication is key. I look at our schedule and talk with my wife about finding time to go into the woods. Sometimes I have to plan a week in advance but that's just find with me.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a daycare buisness I run with my wife, and I'm President of a youth football league almost 300 kids. Six games on Saturday I ref three of them during the day.Football ends the Oct 30 so I will be hitting it hard after that.

It wilkl get better as they get older, oh wait then they will be playing for the schools that's practive five days a week and Saturday games .
Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

enjoy the time now with your youngsters, one day they'll be out on their own and you will be rewarded with all the time you need to hunt, oh yea and then they'll have your grandkids
Old 10-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was in your shoes I pretty much gave up bow hunting and took up waterfowl hunting. My son is now 16 and daughter is 14. The duck and goose hunting allowed me to take them with. Now they have a love for the outdoors and my son has taken a real interest in the bow hunting. This is my 3rd year back bow hunting. I would be lieing if I told you I didn't miss it but I also would be lieing if I told you I would have done it differently. Those days in the duck blind are very special to me. Just as the days are now in bow camp.

Like others have said enjoy the time with them now. They do grow up fast and then they have their own ideas on what they want to do. Right now my son has only been out hunting with me one weekend this fall.[] He plans on stopping up for part of the day Saturday with his "gurl" friend. Guess I can't compete with the girls. I do miss him in camp but I know he will come back. For now just spend all the time you can with your kids. You will be rewarded ten fold for every hour you spend with them.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:21 AM

Hang in there, if theres a will theres a way.
Your plate is full now with more important stuff = family matters.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 AM

I also agree family is #1. I'm heading down the same road as you are. I've got a little monster and he'll be two on the 10th and I have another little boy due on 11/29. I try and sneek a hunt hear and there when I can. Ofter I only get out for an hour and a half at a time but I still see deer. If your hunting time is limited I'd try and hunt the most productive hours. This may mean you take an evening a wekk and hit the woods for the last 2-3 hours of the day.

On the bright side when the boys get a bit older hopefully they'll be interested in hunting with dad. I believe if you instill a love for wilderness in them at a young age they'll take it with them their entire life. I know that's how it was for me.
Do you have the option to take your vacation time in samll 2 hour chunks? luckily I can and I use it to my advantage. I believe I get more out of bagging early 2 hours a day for 4 days then I get taking the entire day off(except durring the rut).
Old 10-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have two boys, 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. It is hard to get away during hunting season, and family is number one. But does that mean we shouldn't be able to go for a few two day trips during the fall? I don't think so. My wife gets out with her friends whenever she wants to and makes plans, and I should be able to hunt here and there.

Let me ask you fellas this: Does the fact that your son plays a sport mean that you have to make it to every game, every week of every sport season? My father hardly made it to any of my games, much less ALL. My son plays soccer in an informal pee wee type of league. Is it a sin if I miss one or two games out of about 8 or 10 while away on a hunting trip?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it a sin if I miss one or two games
YES!!! See you in hell.

I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old. It's really hard to get out. You do what you can and, like everyone said, enjoy your time with them while they're young.

Quick Reply: No Time for the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.