Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about Scent-Lok >

Question about Scent-Lok

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about Scent-Lok

Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default Question about Scent-Lok

I have used Scent-lok for a few years and I often woundered that after you activate Scent-lok clothing in a dryer , can you air out the clothing in the fresh air . Is there a need to air it out after you activate it to get the dryer smell out of it if any . Will airing it out fill up the carbon layer or help flush it out ?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about Scent-Lok

I know the instructions on my Scent Lok say to immediately put them in a scent proof or carbon lined bag after atking them out of the dryer. I suppose you run the risk of picking up foreign odors if you let them hang outside.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Activated carbon will adsorb any odor that comes into contact with it , thereby shortening the life of the garment .

BTW , don't buy into that "activate in the dryer" crap , because it's just that , crap . You can't "reactivate" carbon at home , it takes very high temps under special conditions that can't be duplicated with a home dryer . Just limit the garment's exposure to the outside air as much as possible . PS: if your ScentLok garments are more than 2-3 years old they probably have adsorbed all that they're going to and you need to buy new ones . Or you can save yourself a lot of money and just hunt the wind , deer can't smell upwind .
Old 10-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deercutter

I have used Scent-lok for a few years and I often woundered that after you activate Scent-lok clothing in a dryer , can you air out the clothing in the fresh air . Is there a need to air it out after you activate it to get the dryer smell out of it if any . Will airing it out fill up the carbon layer or help flush it out ?
When it comes time for my Scent Lock to go into the dryer I try to run 2 loads of laundry through the dryer first with no dryer sheets. Just to get rid of as much of the fabric softener smell as possible. I then follow Scent Lok's procedures. If my garments are wet from being washed I'll put them in the dryer and run them on a no heat setting until they are dry. Then I'll run them 40min on high heat. Then they go immediately into a air tight container.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 AM

Sorry guys -- I'm with kevin1 on this one. I don't want to start a debate but through talking to a chemist friend, I've decided to let the Scent Eliminator clothing trend pass me by...

To re-activate carbon would take higher temperatures than can be achieved by burning the clothes. Seriously -- it's something over 500 degrees easily. And unless your Scent-Loc came in a sealed bag from the factory, by the time you buy it, the useful life is probably not that long...

I know the Scent-Loc trend is really going strong right now, but I'd save my money for some nicer clothes at lower prices and learn how to hunt the wind and use cover scents.

I used Tinks Red Fox Urine last year on my boots so as not to track smell in. I also mainly hunt land owned by a dairy farm accross the street from my house. Just hang your clothes in the dairy barn for a few days and you small just like a cow. Since the deer are used to cows, they don't spook at all when they smell you as long as you don't have strong deodorant or shampoo. Just make sure you shower with a scent free soap and use a scent free deodorant -- deer can smell human sweat and they don't like it!

Worked for me last year! Oh ya... and no dryer sheets for anything you wear out there including underwear!

Updated:
Here is a link I wanted to share. Please don't start a war, just something interesting. I personally don't think it works, but I know guys who swear by it. You just kinda have to make that decision for yourself.

Does Activated Carbon work in Scent Suits?
[link]http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm[/link]
Old 10-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

sorry but I am not buying into that link you gave me, I never believe anything I read from the guy at fastestbows, he likes to support the Xscent program, so he downs all the other scent products, scent lok, scent blocker, contain, even the other companies that make the Xstatic brand clothes....this has been done many time over at another board, and some guy did a test proving that you can reactivate scent lok suits in a home dryer, so what you are saying is bull, there are two types of carbon, one that needs a high temp to be reactivated, and one that is used in the scent lok suits that can be done at home, so you might want to read more into it till you state false stuff, because you can reactivate carbon in a home dryer, I would give ya the link to the other board, but I think you know what board it is.....

BTW I dont use scent lok or any of those clothes. like XScent and the other silver stuff that kills the bacteria, technically for them to work the garmet has to be touching your body the whole time, kin of hard to do with your armpits I would think??????
ORIGINAL: mjqood0

Sorry guys -- I'm with kevin1 on this one. I don't want to start a debate but through talking to a chemist friend, I've decided to let the Scent Eliminator clothing trend pass me by...

To re-activate carbon would take higher temperatures than can be achieved by burning the clothes. Seriously -- it's something over 500 degrees easily. And unless your Scent-Loc came in a sealed bag from the factory, by the time you buy it, the useful life is probably not that long...

I know the Scent-Loc trend is really going strong right now, but I'd save my money for some nicer clothes at lower prices and learn how to hunt the wind and use cover scents.

I used Tinks Red Fox Urine last year on my boots so as not to track smell in. I also mainly hunt land owned by a dairy farm accross the street from my house. Just hang your clothes in the dairy barn for a few days and you small just like a cow. Since the deer are used to cows, they don't spook at all when they smell you as long as you don't have strong deodorant or shampoo. Just make sure you shower with a scent free soap and use a scent free deodorant -- deer can smell human sweat and they don't like it!

Worked for me last year! Oh ya... and no dryer sheets for anything you wear out there including underwear!

Updated:
Here is a link I wanted to share. Please don't start a war, just something interesting. I personally don't think it works, but I know guys who swear by it. You just kinda have to make that decision for yourself.

Does Activated Carbon work in Scent Suits?
[link]http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm[/link]
Old 10-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what I understand you need a temperature of over 900 degrees to completely reactivate carbon 100%. However no clothing garment would survive at those temperatures. If you take a brand new sponge and completely saturate it with water it will reach a point where it can hold no more. At that point if you squeeze the sponge it will release a percentage of that stored water. The same basic principal applies to Scent Lok. If you take a Scent Lok garment that is no longer absorbing odor you can release a percentage of those stored molecules in a household dryer at 150 degrees. Now in the case with the sponge, the harder you squeezed the more water you would release. With the Scent Lok, the higher the temperature the more molecules you will release.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:49 AM

Like I said -- You have to make up your own mind. I know several successful hunters who swear by scent eliminating clothing. However, these hunters are also very good at picking stands downwind of deer and use cover scents. I really can't say if their scent supprescent clothing helped them at all.

As stated above, I would rather have nicer clothes for less money so I don't use them. I think cover scents and scent eliminating sprays both are effective, but in the end, smart stand placement and knowing what stand to hunt in what conditions are crucial factors to a successful hunt.

Again, just my opinion.