Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Question

Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Scent Question

I'm moving into a house in about 30 days that has a cedar closet in the basement and I was thinking that this would be good to store my hunting clothes in...anyone with similar experiences? I'll wash them before I go and store them in the closet and maybe throw in some cedar chips in my bag...figure its a natural scent?? Any idea?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Default RE: Scent Question

cedar has to be cut in order to smell it tho..so it might not be a scent that deer are familiar with in the woods..im not sure tho..lets wait for some other posts
Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Personally, I would say no. As a hobby woodworker and avid hunter, I know that aromatic cedar is not a natural odor in the woods; as countrymudder mentioned, it doesn't smell until it's cut. I've found that no smell at all is much more effective than just about any of the commercial "cover" scents available. To provide an example, I had a smallish six-pointer walk within 10 feet of me (while in my popup blind) this past weekend and I had no cover scents on. Later in the afternoon, I used a single spritz of the "most natural" smelling persimmon cover scent I've ever smelled on the outside of my popup blind and got blew at by a doe from 50 yds away. I only used it to try and cover my sweat smell since it was in the 80's and I sweat while I brush my teeth.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

my neighbor has a cedar closet in his garage and he stores all his hunting clothing and most of his treestands in this closet. he seems to be successful every year so i would see no problem in storing them in the closet. i have also borrowed some clothing when i was starting out from him and worn them with no ill effects. and i have had deer within 10 ft of me with these clothes on
Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 AM

Interestign guys, thanks. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet. Sometimes I think it all depends if the deer associates the smell with danger or not from prior experiences...who knows.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you dont have cedar trees in your area id recomend against using somethign that deer arent familiar with.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The concern here is if the deer treats a certain smell as a threat We all know human odor always sends the deer high tailing away from the source.
But how about other scents? I would think cedar would be an accepted smell by most deer, a smell they would either accept or possibly further investigate out of curosity,
even if it is a scent not found in the area. I know hunters who use attractants like vanilla, peanutbutter, molasses, etc, all with a unique smell that is not unique in the woods and a smell unfamiliar to the deer.

My thoughts; I would definitely use a cedar closet, then I would air out all my hunting clothes as i do every year.