Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First experience with ASAT >

First experience with ASAT

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First experience with ASAT

Old 10-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First experience with ASAT

As a deer was coming up the trail I needed to stand to get in position. She was about fifty yards away in heavy foilage so I was quite shocked when she picked out a slight movement of my left leg. She turned and bolted but to my surprise she circled around me and came in to investigate. She came right up in front of my stand and stuck her head up in the air looking at me and trying to wind me. After several minutes she decided I was no risk and walked away. It was right at last light and I am wondering if asat is vulnerable in low light conditions due to the light colors in it?..............dabow
Old 10-04-2004, 08:18 AM

Default RE: First experience with ASAT

I have been wondering the same thing. The tan back ground on my 3d suit has lightened up alot and thought i read on a website somewhere that there was a problem with the dye or something. I purchased just the shirt from asat and wear some mobu pants, the tan on the shirt i got from them is darker, like the tan in the garments i got from dayone. I do belive the asat breaks the human form up good though.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wasn't there so I can only go by what your telling us. My question is this, how close did she come back to you? Was there noise involved when you moved? Were you skylighted? Was it only your leg that moved or did you reach for you bow? Was your face exposed? Were your hands exposed? How about boots, are you wearing knee high rubbers with your pant legs tucked? I'd really question the surmise that the doe picked you out because you simply moved your leg and pointing the blame towards the ASAT camo in low light. I've been able to flap my arms at deer and have them stand there looking inquisitive becaue they haven't a clue what is in that tree. I've even spoked to doe that I wanted to leave the area to only have them look at the base of my tree wondering what the heck.....one thing is for sure, unless winded the deer always seem to come back because they were not spooked by human form....and curiosity can kill the cat...in this case deer.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:23 AM

I would say that the culprit here was the movement. They still pick up movement, no matter what camo you're wearing. The fact that she came in to investigate and eventually determined you to be no threat is actually a great testimony for ASAT. If she is staring at you from only a few yards away and decides you're no threat, that's pretty good.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 AM

I use and believe in ASAT in the right circumstances. I do believe it is vunerable in low light. Hell, mine almost glows in the twighlight. Also, I think it is vunerable against extremely dark backgrounds.

It's a great product and it has it's place in my arsenal, but I am not so gung ho that I truly believe All Seasons, All Terrain. My experiences have proven otherwise.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:24 AM

I keep telling you guys it ain't the camo but the motion. Sit still and the deer will not see you, move and they will. Knowing that, you should be able to figure out when you can move and when you can't. Simple, don't understand why so many just don't get it..
Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I had asat complete outfit on including the head piece. I keep the legs down around the boots so that was not the problem. Like I said it was low light and I had heavy foilage background. Also alot of foilage between us. I was 16 feet up but on a hill with her on the bottom making it about 25 feet above her. She was walking along the base so she was not walking upward. I was already standing but had to pivot one leg slightly. No doubt the movement gave me away but point is if not for the light colors contrasting against the dark background I doubt if I would have been made. I am not knocking the product but see this as a possible weakness. It was cool watching her stare at me from five yards out and try to smell me. Also amazing how she could run a big circle around me and come back to the exact same tree..........dabow
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first deer this past weekend while wearing my ASAT suit. A doe and her fawn came in. The fawn was 15 yards away and looked at me a couple times but couldn't figure out what I was. Then a hickory nut fell and spooked the two. 10 minutes later they circled down wine of me and this time the doe was leading. She kind of snuck up on me. I didn't see her till she was 20 yards away. Luckily she was behind me and I stood up with the trunk of the tree blocking me from her view. As soon as I peaked around the tree she spotted me, so I froze. After about a minute of a hard stare down she put her head back down to eat. As soon as she put it down I tried to move into position for a shot. She saw me again. Another stare down and she gave up and went to eating. She took 5 more steps into my lane at 13 yards, a well placed arrow and 50 yards later she fell.

This all took place about 5:30 pm on a very cloudy day. I was in a thick area of timber and the lighting was not the best. Although, it could have been worse had it been closer to dark.

I've wore MOBU the past 4 bowhunting seasons and I've had many deer spot me and stare at me for long periods of time. Rarely have I had one give up on me and go back to eating like this one did. If a deer did do that in the past, they would continue walking but keep their eyes on me. I think she knew something was up in that tree but she couldn't figure out what it was. I guess it was kind of like the "look through" I've always read about when people wear the leafy suit.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

It was cool watching her stare at me from five yards out and try to smell me. Also amazing how she could run a big circle around me and come back to the exact same tree..........dabow

She came back to 5 yards.....geesssh what do you want from a camo....at 5 yards she didn't spook....what does that say for ASAT? Sounds like a great hunt.