Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need plan of attack >

need plan of attack

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need plan of attack

Old 10-03-2004, 02:10 PM

Default need plan of attack

the are i have to hunt is a area that is fenced off in the middle of the milo and soon to be wheat field. there is a creek and a few large trees for a stand. here is the problem, this is the bedding area. i did place my stand and figured it was a bedding area but today i went to see if any activity and of course spooked deer out of the area. my question is how should i hunt this? will i be able to get out of stand in the morning after putting the deer to bed without getting busted? my stand is right on the bedding area obviousaly. any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated......thanks.........mitch
Old 10-03-2004, 02:55 PM

Default RE: need plan of attack

yes move your stand, It would be in your best intrest to find the trail that the deer take to get from bedding area to feeding area and that is where you want to put your stand up. the more you disturb their bedding area or spook them out of their bedding are the sooner they are going to find a new bedding area. Good luck. just remeber the less impact and contaminating of the hunting area you do the less on gaurd and on edge the deer are going to be.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you absolutely have to hunt that stand then get in very early and dark and prepare to sit all morning. The last thing you want to do is let every deer know you're on to them.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Tread lightly in there my friend! Personally I would look to move the stand. If those are the only trees that'll take a stand I'd look into a ground blind. If you push the deer from their bedding area too much (IMO once is too much) they'll be off to find a new bedding area. If you can hunt the travel routes you'll definately be ahead of the game.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bedding area can be hunted but you may have to take some extreme measures to do so. First consider what time of day or night your gonna enter and exit while the deer are vacant ( I personally don't like chancing sneaking in with deer bedded in it), next decide how long you'll need to stay before you exit to not bump bedding deer and last maximize your scent elimination and play the wind.

I have and do hunt bedding areas. I set up a Tree Lounge way before season in a known buck bedding area, I like the lounge so I can sleep in it if needed. I wait for the bucks to get up in the evenings and leave the bedding area to go feed. I slip in while they are out feeding really early in the morning like 3 a.m. and then I wait till daylight to catch deer coming back to bed for the day. I sit all day ( and deer definately move around some in bedding areas...during the day) and wait again till evening for the deer to get back up and make their way back to feed. I won't leave and slip out the back side till after dark and when the deer have vacated it again. A ground blind works just like a tent for long stays but I like being way up high in a bedding area...I just feel like I am less obtrusive this way. I usually am looking at about an 18 to 20 hour cycle from the time I get up to get into the area to the time I get back home from hunting a bedding area.

If you hunt the travel route to and from feed, you can go in early in the afternoon, set up. Hunt the evening movement, let them all pass by, wait till after dark..sneak out behind them. Beat them back to your stand before daylight in the morning and hunt them again coming back to their beds. Problem I have had there is ...some of the bucks I am after reach their daytime beds before daylight or right at daylight so the travel routes stands in the mornings are too little too late, thats why I end up hunting right in their beds as described in the first paragraph. I usually see the younger bucks and does in the mornings on the travel routes...here anyway. You know your deer in your area, you should be able to make a solid plan of ambush on them, good luck!

Troy