HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need plan of attack
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
shed33
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need plan of attack

A bedding area can be hunted but you may have to take some extreme measures to do so. First consider what time of day or night your gonna enter and exit while the deer are vacant ( I personally don't like chancing sneaking in with deer bedded in it), next decide how long you'll need to stay before you exit to not bump bedding deer and last maximize your scent elimination and play the wind.

I have and do hunt bedding areas. I set up a Tree Lounge way before season in a known buck bedding area, I like the lounge so I can sleep in it if needed. I wait for the bucks to get up in the evenings and leave the bedding area to go feed. I slip in while they are out feeding really early in the morning like 3 a.m. and then I wait till daylight to catch deer coming back to bed for the day. I sit all day ( and deer definately move around some in bedding areas...during the day) and wait again till evening for the deer to get back up and make their way back to feed. I won't leave and slip out the back side till after dark and when the deer have vacated it again. A ground blind works just like a tent for long stays but I like being way up high in a bedding area...I just feel like I am less obtrusive this way. I usually am looking at about an 18 to 20 hour cycle from the time I get up to get into the area to the time I get back home from hunting a bedding area.

If you hunt the travel route to and from feed, you can go in early in the afternoon, set up. Hunt the evening movement, let them all pass by, wait till after dark..sneak out behind them. Beat them back to your stand before daylight in the morning and hunt them again coming back to their beds. Problem I have had there is ...some of the bucks I am after reach their daytime beds before daylight or right at daylight so the travel routes stands in the mornings are too little too late, thats why I end up hunting right in their beds as described in the first paragraph. I usually see the younger bucks and does in the mornings on the travel routes...here anyway. You know your deer in your area, you should be able to make a solid plan of ambush on them, good luck!

Troy