Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Butchering & a field dressing question >

Butchering & a field dressing question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Butchering & a field dressing question

Old 10-01-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Butchering & a field dressing question

Another post got me wondering about field dressing... I have always split the pelvic bone - it's the way I was taught, and I've heard that it's better because it lets the meat cool quicker. What do you guys do ? Does anyone have a reason for not spitting the pelvis ?

I've only butchered two deer. I "learned" how to do it by reading a bunch of websites (all of which were somewhat incomplete) and watching a video that I bought (also somewhat incomplete). Does anyone know of a source, tutorial, etc. that fully explains how to properly butcher/process a deer ?

(ps: I know that the easiest way to butcher a deer is to shoot it 8 times with a 12 ga)
Old 10-01-2004, 08:42 AM

Default RE: Butchering & a field dressing question

I don't know for sure but I think one of the main reasons for not cutting the pelvic bone is the keep bone fragments off of the meat due to CWD concerns. I don't know what the name of the video I bought last year is but it was very helpful. Hopefully someone else can give specific references for you.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:45 AM

On one of the websites about butchering I thought it said that CWD was only from the brain and spinal fluids .... hopefully someone has the FACTS and will share them here......
Old 10-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Take what you have learned and bag em when you can and just do it.

I have always split the pelvis to assist in removing the colon and rectum! If you quarter your game to process it you will have to split the pelvis any way!

Good luck and just do what you think is best!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:13 AM

Most times I split the pelvis. On big deer if I have only a knife with me I will not. I don't think it matters one way or the other. As far as CWD I do believe that bone marrow is the reason they suggest not splitting it. There is no wrong way to do it.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kimber, you are right about CWD only coming from spinal and brain fluids.

I don't normally split the pelvis unless it is unuasully warm or I am a LONG way from camp.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

As far as field dressing is concerned, there are several innovative ways to go about it. I'm sure you'll get more than one piece of good advice, but here's the way I prefer:

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2
Old 10-01-2004, 09:44 AM

Canuck - nice tutorial ... for what its worth, I converted from the saw to a mini-hatchet from Gerber. I've found that a couple of quick chops and the pelvis is cracked and split, and I think there's less chance of busting the bladder ..... which by the way, I have drained into my Gatorade bottle on several occasions - just seems to make "sents" to have fresh wee-wee instead of the bottled stuff.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM

I read a article the other day where a lab had found cwd prions in muscle tissue. I will try to find the article and post it. Just remember to use gloves when cleaning the deer.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:03 PM

i split the pelvis after getting back to camp, i dont carry anything in the woods that woudl be capable of splitting the bone.

We keep a hatchet, hammer and bucket specifically for that purpose, hang the deer, split the pelvis, remove any leftover innards and rinse then entire cavity.