Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing question

Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Field dressing question

Since this will be my first year hunting I am usure of what to do with the guts after field dressing. Do you bury them or just leave them laying out?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Field dressing question

depends where u are guytting them i guess haha i used to gut them in my backyard so i hard to burry them all , but also if u are gutting a deer anywhere near ur stand u might just want to burry them so it doesnt effect the other deer and also so noone will see your gut pile and try to find your stand. But of course i dont think there is a law that says you HAVE to. Good Luck huntin
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 AM

i never gut my deer in the woods, alway bring it back to camp, then dispose of it in a compose, or let the yotes get it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Leave it there ,varmints will clean it up
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 AM

I have always gutted my deer where they fall and left the "piles" for the crows, ravens, and coyotes. They sure dont last long!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Hello
I field dress them where they fall. Like someone said earlier, the pile is usually gone quickly.
Last year while hunting during the rut I had a big buck coming past with his nose to the ground and suddenly he stopped and jumped back like he was poked in the nose with a thorn. Then he changed course, which brought him nearer to my stand and Imissed, having hit a twig. I climbed down to get my arrow and to see what made him jump back. Here was the gut pile, that hadn't been cleaned up yet, from an antlerless deer I'd arrowed four days earlier. It was cold, but the smell must have gotten his attention up close. And he really didn't spook orput him on aleart. I had shot the first deer from a different stand otherwise I'd have realized what got his attention.

Dan
Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Leaving a gut pile near your stand will not effect other deer one bit. I have seen other deer lick gut piles shortly after a harvest. I think theres some sort of salt on the skin of the guts that deer like.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

I agree...gut them where they fall except if you have to drag them out through a bunch of mud and water puddles. In that case I leave the cavity closed and gut them when I get back to my truck or at least past the worst parts of the trek back. You don't want mud and crap like that inside your deer.
By the way, I have found that a $2.00 plastic snow sled works really well for dragging them out. The slick bottom glides over most areas with ease and helps to keep the deer more clean.
Good luck,
Craig
Old 02-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

On our hunting farm we do both. Sometimes we gut em where they fall and most often we throw them on a fourwheeler and bring them up to the farm where we can hang em and gut em. When we gut em at the barn, we drop all the mess into a big plastic tub, load that on a fourwheeler and go dump that.

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL - WORD OF CAUTION! Watch out for broadheads that could be inside a deer's cavity when gutting.

One thing gutpiles are really good for is drawing in coyotes and feral or wild dogs. Can't tell ya how many times we've checked piles and sharpened our marksmanship another notch. Watched dogs eat every last morsel including bloody paper towels.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

They make a wonderful stew.

Add beef broth, garlic, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Field dressing question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.