Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting off the ground >

Hunting off the ground

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting off the ground

Old 09-29-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Hunting off the ground

Theres a good possibility i will be hunting off the ground saturday for the PA opener. I will not be using my ground blind, just sitting on a stool. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for hunting off the ground, like getting the shot off, scent, anything really....thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Hunting off the ground

I hunted for years off the ground with fair success but it is much better to be in a tree stand. However, you know that already! That doesn't mean you can't be successful while hunting from the ground. Anyway, you'll have good success if you can get as scent free as possible, hunt the wind and position yourself with as much foliage behind and around you that you can get. If you look hard enough you'll find a couple of spots that will offer you a sort of natural blind to position your stool. Try not to get into a position that the sun shines on you either. As far as drawing, well that is the hardest part IMO. I have spooked several while drawing. It is far better to be drawing on a single buck or doe than to have several deer around. Usually one will spot your movement. Try to draw when the deer has its head down or is behind a tree and make sure your bow is sound proof as well. I still have some deer that will hear me draw but if they can't see you do it they will be alerted but might not be able to pick you out. I find this type of hunting the most challenging, however after the harvest there is so much more satisfaction. Last year I had 2 does within 7 yards of me on one of my "ground" hunts. I could hear them breath is seemed. I drew as they both had their heads down but one of them winded me or something and jumped and ran into thicker brush. The other doe was startled but moved over into a more open area for me so I was able to take her. That was exciting and tough at the same time. To me it is far easier from a tree stand I'll tell ya. But what a feeling it is to be on the same level. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Lastnight when I was walking back from my stand, I was downwind of two 6 pointers on and they just sat there and looked at me...one actually started walking towards me.
The only thing that spooked them was when I moved my arm, so i am going to say try to stay downwind of the deer if you have an idea of where they will be coming from, and use some type of scent killer/eliminator. I use a soap and spray all of my clothing, and it seems to work since he got within about 15 yards of me and it was just a breeze coming through. and he had his nose in the air the whole time.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:34 PM

I prefer to hunt off the ground rather than a tree stand. when ground hunting scent is more of a concern, if you go back throught the pages of this form you will find a good home made cover scent recipe use it or buy a good cover scent,also If the rut has not begun maybe put some buck urine on a few cotton swabs and set them out around your sitting spot it might stop the buck long enough to get your shot off spread them out at your comfortable shooting ranges. also make sure the spot you pick to sit has some trees or bush or overhangs that you can set up in you want cover to blend inwithandstop the deer from picking up your outline. You also want to make sure their is some bush shrubs anything like that between you and the trail/deer this is important because it will give you a chance to draw your bow with being seen. well other than that gargle with baking soda and just get comfotable when you get settled you DO NOT want to have to move because on ground level a deer will pick you out before you even know he is there. Hope this helps good luck the reason I like ground hunting is because it is such a challenge. good spots to set up are basically the same place you would set a tree stand up just on ground level and make sure there is enough cover.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:11 PM

I always hunt from a stand. I feel much safer
Old 09-29-2004, 10:54 PM

I always hunt on the ground...
One thing I have learned is that you never want to be set up where the deer are likely to be looking. If they are following a trail and moving then you want to be off to the side. You want to be as still as possible and 'become' the background. In my experience the bucks are easier to hide from as they are usually alone and traveling with a mission in mind. Unless they smell or see you they will keep moving. Does are almost always in groups and usually there is one doe that is smart enough to know that you don't belong there - even if she doesn't smell you or see you move. They just 'know'.
I've only hunted for three years but I spend time in the woods photographing the deer all year long. Early in the season they are not spooked as easy - once the rifle season starts they spook at anything... As stated by others - keep your scent in control and stay upwind.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:52 AM

hey drop em were they stand, I was just wondering what do you feel safer from in a stand. I was just asking because you must have some killer criters to not be safe on the ground.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess would be the crazed bowhunter from missouri that shot his buddy thinking he was a turkey []
Old 09-30-2004, 04:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the ground is the only way as far as I'm concerned, tree stand ruin the challenge, Scent control,wind, good gillie suit. Make a natural brush blind,Its free and natural
Old 09-30-2004, 05:32 AM

Have good cover, scent killer up play the wind right if there is any and enjoy you opening day, good luck!

Stups

Quick Reply: Hunting off the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.