HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting off the ground
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 PM
Carwi

Default RE: Hunting off the ground

I hunted for years off the ground with fair success but it is much better to be in a tree stand. However, you know that already! That doesn't mean you can't be successful while hunting from the ground. Anyway, you'll have good success if you can get as scent free as possible, hunt the wind and position yourself with as much foliage behind and around you that you can get. If you look hard enough you'll find a couple of spots that will offer you a sort of natural blind to position your stool. Try not to get into a position that the sun shines on you either. As far as drawing, well that is the hardest part IMO. I have spooked several while drawing. It is far better to be drawing on a single buck or doe than to have several deer around. Usually one will spot your movement. Try to draw when the deer has its head down or is behind a tree and make sure your bow is sound proof as well. I still have some deer that will hear me draw but if they can't see you do it they will be alerted but might not be able to pick you out. I find this type of hunting the most challenging, however after the harvest there is so much more satisfaction. Last year I had 2 does within 7 yards of me on one of my "ground" hunts. I could hear them breath is seemed. I drew as they both had their heads down but one of them winded me or something and jumped and ran into thicker brush. The other doe was startled but moved over into a more open area for me so I was able to take her. That was exciting and tough at the same time. To me it is far easier from a tree stand I'll tell ya. But what a feeling it is to be on the same level. Good luck!