Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice range in garage >

Practice range in garage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice range in garage

Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default Practice range in garage

Hey All,
I just moved out of my parents house and into my first home. It has been incredibly exciting to be on my own. However other than missing mom's cooking the other thing that has me missing home is a lack of a place to shoot. At my parents my dad and I had a 60 yd. range set up in our side yard with a birm in the backyard as the backstop behind our targets. The home I purchased is in an old neighborhood with alleys, and small yards, so no shooting in the yard anymore. Well I was thinking about setting up a range in my garage. I figure I can shoot from my driveway into my garage. Has anyone done something similar? What can I use as a backstop against the backwall to stop my arrows from messing up the walls?

Thanks,
Bassn
Old 09-29-2004, 09:41 AM

Default RE: Practice range in garage

Before our basement was finshed I would shot from one end of the basement to the other. We had built a wall and lined it with foam padding to stop the arrows! Worked pretty good, but them my parents decided to finish the basement so I had to make a new range outside.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:49 AM
kec

when I had my Condo...lol...I used to shoot from the living room into the bathroom (about 10 yrds). When I moved into a development house, I used to shoot in the basement from corner to corner (about 15 yrds). Now I have a place on 30 acres but shoot from the side of my house through an opened garage door then through a regular door way leading to the barn (30 yrds). I also have an outdoor range for whatever yardage but prefer shooting through the garage.

I just put up a 3/4" piece of plywood, some foam 4" thick on top of plywood, and hang a shooting bag target in front of it (prefer the bag as arrows pretty much pull out with ease. I also shoot a hoyt xtex w/acc-328 carbon aluminum arrows w/100gr. tips approx speed 260fps. For shooting broadheads, I just put a spot on my mckenzie target and use that (they don't last long w/broadheads.

Sometimes ya just have to do what you have to do to keep shooting. Just Don't Miss...lol

KEC
Old 09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many years ago I used to shoot from the driveway into the garage. I did not use a backstop because I figured I would never miss. When we sold the house nobody even noticed the 3 arrow holes in the siding.

Maybe just use some old boxes filled with those plastic bags from the grocery store.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:46 PM

If you have some access to haybales and don't mind them in your garage....they usually make a good backstop.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

KEC you're scaring me! Shooting through garages and regular doors is bad news. Suppose someone doesn't know your shooting and walks through that door??

As for the others, what is on the opposite side of the wall in garage?? If it's a room others could be in, it's a no-no, an arrow will pass through drywall.

Safety first guys! If need, be go to your hunting grounds to shoot.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for the others, what is on the opposite side of the wall in garage?? If it's a room others could be in, it's a no-no, an arrow will pass through drywall.
For me I was shooting a bow that was going around 175 fps. All that ever made it thru was the tip and an inch or 2 of arrow. That bow wouldn't have gone thru the wall at 5 yards. I would never do that with my bow today. It probably would make it thru.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. I am thinking about making a backstop out of stacked cardboard. Kind of like the ones some archery shops have in their ranges.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot in the basement sometime with a bag target hanging from the ceiling. I've got the holes inthe drywall to prove it!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:24 PM
kec

I agree, safety first. If someone is walking by any of those doors, they are trespassing and have broken in to the barn and or garage. I usually leave my last set of arrows shot in the target so the next time I shoot I need to open the garage and unlock the door I shoot through to get my arrows. Therefore I would know if anyone has gotten in there. Besides I am in a rural area with no neighbors in sight. I also keep no animals in the barn, and on the other side of that wall (about 2" thick) is about 1000 acres of brush & old orchards. So not really concerned about someone walking by. No reason to be scared Badatta2d...lol. And no holes in wall yet! The exterior of the condo was solid brick also as well as the house.

Good Hunting,
KEC