Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Range Practice Tip >

Long Range Practice Tip

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Range Practice Tip

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Long Range Practice Tip

This is tip that many probably already incorporate into their program but I'll post it anyway.

This is the scenario: You're stuck at a certain yardage that you just can't get good, tight groups at, say it's 40 yds just for the sake of argument. Do you just keep plugging along at 40, trusting that they'll get tighter with enough practice? I've done that and it seems frustrating and usually takes a long time before the groups shrink.

What I tried may go against logic, but that is to drop back another 20 yards (a total distance of 60 for this example) and practice. Naturally your groups won't be too tight, but that's not the goal. I would then move up to 40 again and PRESTO, much tighter groups than before. I've used this all distances and it works for me.

When that buck steps out at 20 -30 yds, it'll seem like a chip shot compared to how you've been practicing. Give it try and see if it works for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long Range Practice Tip

I try to do that when possible but my front yard only permits maybe 33-34 yards,so I pull truck up to curb and shoot out of backand split the pins for extra distance.Gonna have to go outside of town to some open area and stretch the distance soon!Your right about shooting long then scooting up closer...makes the 30-20 range easy.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

When that buck steps out at 20 -30 yds, it'll seem like a chip shot compared to how you've been practicing. Give it try and see if it works for you.
For me anyways, when I get in that "chip shot" frame of mind, I don't do so well. I try to take no shot for granted and try to put the same level of concentration into a 2 yard as a 60 yard shot.

I do agree though that practicing beyond your limit is good and should be part of a good practice routine.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Also when shooting long distances make sure to go through your checklist in your head before touching the trigger-for me this would include my grip,my anchor point,my breathing is crucial-I take a deep breath let some out and hold it to still my body,make sure youre pin is on so you dont shoot before youre ready.....
When youre in a stand or a blind make sure your limbs are`nt going to hit anything upon release,I`ve heard it several time "I was`nt paying attention to...."
I like to practice in awkward positions like on my knees facing the wrong direction then twisting and shooting behind me from 50 yards or so-after having been snuck up on too many times.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes for some reason i would say it does work, how logically i cannot explain. i shot out to 80 yards, groups are not supper tight at all, but then when i go and shoot 50 or 40 much nicer groups.