Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

oops neck shot

Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 PM

Default RE: oops neck shot

Im with you guys on most of your points. People that leave responses like Bees isn't doing anyone any good. However, you people need to slow down and being so one sided. We fight for our right to hunt everyday, every month and every year, we need to do our best to make sure that we harvest what we shoot at. Any doubts about the shot and I mean any and you shouldn't take it. The antis feed on that sort of stuff. Now I see that primetimearcher has another post on missing a deer and if it will come back. So that is missed one, and possibly shot one in the neck. Too me that is not good enough and means that more practice is needed before you go in the woods. I know that everyone gets excited, especially if you just started the sport, but were fighting for everything we have now, and wounded deer don't help the cause. Im not getting on you primetimearcher, because I don't know you and im sure not going to pick on you. Its up to you to decide if you need more practice or not. Im only evaluating your posts. We all have bad shots when buck fever hits, and we all miss. Just think before every shot. Im off the soapbox now guys, don't get all upset with my response, just throwing in my 2 cents.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:40 PM

i shot a buck in the neck and droped him like a bad habit
Old 09-27-2004, 06:34 PM

this has happened to me once with a similiar incident with a spike buck my second deer 14 years ago i hit him in the neck no blood so what i did was go home i got my next door neighbor and he helped me search for the deer.i ALWAYS after my shot at a deer place my hat at the spot of the impact ,so when we got to the place that hte arrow hit we did not find any blood but becuaze this wise old man lol told me lets find the nearest creek and sure enough WATER there was my deer ,bye a creek . just a little story of my experience .good luck in you search.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

The fact that we all may have made some bad shots is exactly why others shouldnt. After all they are called bad shots for a reason.
An inexperienced young hunter without proper guidance wants a deer very badly and might even rely on luck to make a shot.
I would wager that most who disagree with the neck shot are veteran hunters and not newbies.
I have heard stories of someone taking a 40 yd shot (while not even accurate at 30yds.) say that the buck was so big that he may never get an opportunity to shoot at one like that again.
There is no lucky magic wand that will guide your arrow to its target. This will come only with years of experience and good judgement.
I have shot deer in the neck at 10, 20, 30, and even 40 yds consistently,
but these deer were in my back yard in the form of my 3-d target. I am confident that I could center the neck at those distances on a live deer as long as someone told the deer not to move a muscle while the arrow is traveling to it. Since this will never happen I will never take a neck shot using the stick and string.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
c j
Typical Buck

As I sat in my stand on Saturday morning (9/25/4) a small buck trotted past on my right with an arrow in the left side of his neck. It looked like it had only penetrated a few inches. There was a patch of blood around the arrow about the size of someone's hand. He took off before I could get a shot off.

He was obviously not paralyzed and obviously not hit in the jugular.

About 20 minutes later I heard noise coming from behind me again. I looked and saw a hunter walking down the middle of the hill my stand is on. (The deer had run down the hill then headed south past me.) The guy kept walking east down off the hill. I got his attention and motioned n/s the way the buck had run past, but he just waived at me. I asked if he had shot one in the neck. He said he had and came up to my stand to talk to me. I told him what I'd seen. He said he shot it at about 15 yards and he couldn't believe that he didn't drop it on the spot. I didn't ask, but I got the impression that he meant to hit it in the neck. After I explained that the arrow was still in and that he obviously didn't hit the jugular, he walked off, not saying whether he would be back to track it later or what.

After a few hours, I went to where I'd last seen the deer and picked up the blood trail. It was pretty steady. Not a ton of blood, but not difficult to track, either.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Typical Buck

Hey man, nobody but you knows what really happened. If you say you shot it in the neck then I have no reason to doubt you. Hopefully you'll recover the deer. If you know the area well enough then I would do a grid system that was said earlier and look in its bedding area or near water. Now if you don't find it then your experience from that day should carry with you forever and next time your shot placement will be better. Accidents happen and don't let some of these guys get to you their just a little jealous b/c you get to bowhunt so early in the year!!!! haha.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 AM

Yea, everyone makes bad shots but I am having a hard time figuring out how you aim at a deers body and hit it in the neck near the head.
The first doe I shot was quartering away, looking back at me, when I released I hit about 3 inches to the left and hit her right in the eye. Not pretty, and I'm not proud but I was only off by a little and that's where I hit her. She dropped btw.

After a few hours, I went to where I'd last seen the deer and picked up the blood trail. It was pretty steady. Not a ton of blood, but not difficult to track, either.
CJ, did you find the deer? Just curious.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: MassSeaWolves bowhunter

this wise old man lol told me lets find the nearest creek and sure enough WATER there was my deer ,bye a creek .
Good point, If there is any water around, it is worth checking there. A wounded deer gets dehydrated quick.

GL
Old 09-29-2004, 10:23 PM

You should probably go back to thew same spot wherre he was shot and see if there is any blood at all.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

So you ever find the deer or what?

Quick Reply: oops neck shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.