Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

oops neck shot

Old 09-27-2004, 09:19 AM

Default oops neck shot

I acedenty shot a deer in the neck. No blood no arrow. what should i do.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Default RE: oops neck shot

Get back in the woods and start looking for it.

I have a couple of question though. How did you cconfirm the hit? No blood and no arrow sounds like a miss to me IME. A neck is full of veins, spinal cords, spine wind pipe. If you hit it the deer should be pretty close by. Was there any hair at the impact site? could you see the arrow in the deer?

Please don't take offense but from what you've said things don't add up. I'd be looking for the arrow down range of where the deer was.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL
Old 09-27-2004, 09:26 AM

Call 9-1-1 ?[8D]
Seriously, sorry to hear about the mishap
Get some help in possibly tracking it and read Rob/Pabowyer's articles on tracking wounded deer. Its a top of the list category.
Again,hang in their.[]
Old 09-27-2004, 09:49 AM

Adams hit the nail on the head. If you didn't find ANY blood or hair around the sight then you probably missed if it was a neck shot. How long did you wait to start looking and how long did you search the area? Did you search at night or day? Did you see the shot go through? How far away did you take the shot? How sure are you that you hit the deer? Did you hear it strike the deer? In other words can you elaborate on the situation?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:37 AM

I saw the arrow hit the deer you guys. It ran off so i went to see the arrow but if didn't find it my dad looked too nobody found it do you guys have a way for looking for arrows.
What would happen if i spooked the deer and i had hit it.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Apparently your not ready for prime time yet. My advice change your log in name and don't go hunting with a bow anymore, because apparently you don't get it at all...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:51 AM

What would happen if i spooked the deer and i had hit it.
There would be hair, lots of blood and a dead deer right near by. I've seen some interesting things in the woods but never a nech shot animal that didn't bleed and bleed profusely. Think about it, when you process a deer what's in the neck? Tendons, arteries, spine and spinal cord, smaller secondary veins windpipe esophagus and I could go on. A neck shot is generally lethal, low percentage shot but lethal non the less. If you saw the hit you should be able to find hair, blood & fatty grissle.
If you've tracked the animal any distance at all and found none of these I'm still guessing you missed.

Did you shoot out of a tree? If so I'd search behind where the animal was when you shot. you should be able to find the arrow. If not you should have been able to see the arrow sticking out of the deers neck as it ran off. I'm not sure ewhat to tell you. I'd look again and see if you can't find evidence that points one way or the other.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where do you think the arrow hit? Closer to the head or back towards the shoulder?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:01 AM

It was near the head.

Quick Reply: oops neck shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.