Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

oops neck shot

Old 09-30-2004, 09:36 AM

Default RE: oops neck shot

hey bees, Are we to assume that you have never made a bad shot on a deer before? If you haven't then you haven't bowhunted long enough, noone's perfect! If you are going to post answers like that, you should find another forum.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

I agree
Old 09-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cjsportsman

hey bees, Are we to assume that you have never made a bad shot on a deer before? If you haven't then you haven't bowhunted long enough, noone's perfect! If you are going to post answers like that, you should find another forum.
I could not have sead it any better
Old 09-30-2004, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

But just wondering???- cj did you find that deer or what?? And also primetimearcher good luck on finding that deer give it another search just to be sure its not around there close bye. But don`t` stop bowhunting!! Just keep practicing. We have all made bad shots some time or another I have. And anyone who says they have never made a bad shot. Well i have to agree to what some one else sead ether you have not bowhunted very long or {IMO} its just plane B/S.[:@]
Old 09-30-2004, 02:24 PM

Id really like to hear the end of this one.....

This is the kind of thing that really stinks... but I think everyone on here can honestly say it can happen - a twig, a flinch, simple 'buck fever' can make us have a so-so hit. I pride myself in my good shooting ability and I have never had to track an animal far - but I was lucky on one occasion.... so lets all remember we are all human.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:57 PM

Just a quick note. My brother-in-law shot a cow elk in the neck last year. It was quartering away and he got nervous and torqued his bow and pulled the shot. Lemme tell ya, that thing *squirted* blood, and still went over a mile. We ended up not finding her till the next morning, like 5 canyons and about a mile from where he shot her. The arrow was laying right next to her, busted off.

Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:32 PM

Never found it thanks for the help i am sad about the deer. Won't happen again it must have been buck fever because when practicing i hit heart 4 out of 5 times.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:31 PM

Never found it thanks for the help i am sad about the deer. Won't happen again it must have been buck fever because when practicing i hit heart 4 out of 5 times.
So you did shoot at the heart/lung area and missed by 24 inches ? Yeah, thats serious buck fever ! Maybe do a self analysis like is your equipment in good order ? was there enough light ? was the shot too long ? was it broadside of more quartering than you thought ? Take an honest look, evaluate it and post pictures of the next deer that gives you a killing shot
Old 09-30-2004, 08:55 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Sorry guys - didn't realize I'd left everyone hanging. Short answer: no, I didn't find it.

When I had pulled up to the spot where I generally park before entering the woods, there were two trucks already there. I got out and talked to the guy in the truck closest to me. I told him I have a stand back in the woods, but I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. (This was public land) He said no problem, that their stands were way back in there. I told him mine was, too. He asked where. I told him along the hill. He said no problem, he'd seen it and his was well beyond it to the south and his dad's was on the other side of the hill from me.

Anyway, back to the deer trail; I trailed it probably 400 yards and never saw any sign that it laid down or anything. But just before I quit, the trail of blood came out into a small narrow clearing that had been cut away. As I was looking around all the cut shrubs and small trees, I spotted a stand, which I assumed belonged to the guy I had talked to. The guy I talked to earlier must have been his dad.

Since the deer had gone right past the son's stand and I had told the dad where it had passed by me, I figured they should be able to find it. I stopped because I didn't want to push it if it had laid down plus I was almost to the edge of the state land. I assume (hope) they were just giving it more time before tracking it. It's even possible that the son hit it again when it crossed his clearing, but I didn't see any evidence of that.