Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it just the fletching?? >

Is it just the fletching??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it just the fletching??

Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is it just the fletching??

I have my bow tuned and hitting tight groups but when I shoot, the fletching looks like it is doing loop-d-loops. I had my buddy stand behind and watch and he says they are shooting like bullets, no wavering at all. Do you think it is the spinning of the fletching deceiving my eyes? You would think the groups would be a little loose if they were moving around that much, right? I am seeing it with my practice tips and shooting indoors. What do you think??

Equipment:

Pearson Anaconda 28 1/2" with loop 70#
Gold Tip 7595 xt camo 4" feathers
Impact archery Jumbo sight
Bodoodle bullet rest
Trophy Hunter ball bearing release
Old 09-25-2004, 10:40 PM

Default RE: Is it just the fletching??

It's probably an optical illusion. I have heard of that before. Seems like I see it myself from time to time but like you I don't believe you would get decent groups if it was doing that. You would have erratic groups. I shoot an agressive helical fletch and notice it in certain light. Other's say the same thing about it flying like a bullet though. So, I ignore it. I get very tight groups so I believe it's an illusion.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most times the off color fletch will deceive the shooter. All the eye sees is the off color fletch flipping around.....it takes someone standing behind you to actually see the flight of the arrow. Your eyes should be on the target. If your friend sees them flying good, chances are they are....you should allow him to shoot your bow if capable and stand back and see for yourself. Of course if they are looping, a fixed bladed broadhead will let you know as well as paper tuning.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's another plus to shooting lighted nocks. When shooting my regular arrows, I'd swear mine are doing loops. But when shooting the lighted nocks I can see that they are flying like darts with no wobble at all. I'm sold on them.