Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I admit I need bowhunters help  killing deer >

I admit I need bowhunters help killing deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I admit I need bowhunters help killing deer

Old 09-26-2004, 06:22 AM

Default I admit I need bowhunters help killing deer

Ok I admit it .I am not up to the job but someone has to do it. A couple of weeks ago we planted new trees in one of our nursery fields and the next day there were buck rubs all over it. I have had it. Every last one of the White tailed rats must go. Not wanting to lease the farms out I decided to offer the ground up for the public to come and bag your deer. A $100 donation is asked for the Plumstead Township Police gun replacement fund. I will show you the property lines for three nurseries that I am opening up. One is adjacent to Peace Valley Park a huge deer refuge that is the source of our problems. The hunt is for this years bow season. You must obay the PGC rules and a prize for the biggest pest and the smallest pest will be given out. There will also be prizes for all bucks taken...For more details and to sign the roster, call Bill Hirst 215 651 8329 [email protected].....www.highlandhillfarm.com......Thanks Bill
Old 09-26-2004, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I admit I need bowhunters help killing deer

You're not serious. Your problem won't be cured in one season. My buddy and I have whacked the herd on a couple different properties. It really took about 3 years before the difference was achieved. We got them whacked now, but they can bounce right back in about 3 or 4 years if not kept in check.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

"White tailled rats" I don't think I have ever herd them called that before. I see you joind back in febuary, How come you've never posted till one week before the season opens? 100 per hunt is it? Sounds kind of like a mony making sceme to me. Theres so many deer in PA why would I pay another 100$. Sorry to hear about your trees. Are there any left for a treestand?[]
Old 09-26-2004, 08:05 AM

davidmil...i have over the years allowed many people to hunt these farms. We have had hundreds of deer taken .It really does help to get the population down and then the deer damage is lessened.Two years ago I open up the property for a free hunt. All you had to do was sign up for a time period. I allowed people to sign up for 3 days a max of 6 hunters per day, the list was full but most never showed. Still 30 deer were taken.I hoped for at least 100.I feel that having people make a contribution will discourage signups for no shows. For that reason I picked the local police who have been helpful in watching my properties for thieft. I understand that many people feel that hunting should be free. Thats why I suggested a donation but its not required.Others may feel that this is unrealistic, I don't profit from this other than benifit by the deer reduction. Bill
Old 09-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

To bad you're half way across the country! I would have loved to show up and help!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

why don't you put tree collars on the trees? I work at a landscape company and we have 3 tree fields and very few if any had buck rubs in them and all of the trees get collars put on them. And theres deer in the trees that our tree feilds are around and none of them get shot. You will never keep the deer out with a refuge right next to you theres probly thousand deer living on that refuge. How are these tree fields of yours? Are you trying to resell these field or what is the purpose of the tree fields.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:12 AM

we put tree colars on hardwood trees that are large enough to support tree colars.The arborvitae and pine type of evergreen trees can'y be collared.Also most of our shrubs can't be collared.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

deerag2,that's not the easiest thing to do especially with large nurseries .My father inlaw owns a nursery,and matter fact it is where primarly hunt.I think it is an excellent opportunity for a gentleman to make an offer like he has,it would be nice if others did the same.Many folks that allow hunting want these critters dead period,when you hit one with youre car or worse yet mortorcycle you may rename them tailed rats too, please ohiobunter.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:48 AM

bhirst check your pms
Old 09-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

around the evergreens you can make a fence circle around them and use those cheap steel post and put one per tree. It really doesn't take that long to put tree collars on. When ever we have guys that don't have anything to do we send them out into the tree feilds to do pruning and staking of trees that need it. Mark trees that we want to be balled.