Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 IS it me?? Fletching! >

IS it me?? Fletching!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

IS it me?? Fletching!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default IS it me?? Fletching!

Ok guys, last summer I started fletching some arrows (just as a quickie repair for my own shooting)

Carbons were no real problem..although the blazers seem to not hold to good, over time. (AND I shoot a Muzzy fall-away so it's not a WB issue )

Dad wanted me to refletch some of his aluminum arrows. They cleaned up great. Much easier than carbons. (with acetone and then denatured alcohol) I've tried the Bohning glue, crazy clue, gorilla glue. They just don't seem to hold. bend the fletch and they pop off.

Now here's my thought. I NEVER see anyone recommend the Arizona EZ fletch and that's what I'm using. Is that my problem or do ya see something else? I can buy whatever works. I just hate the thought of putting on 1 vane at a time..I don't wanna make a 5 day project out of doing a dozen arrows.

Please don't just say go buy a blitz...tell me why it's better or why mines junk. (and yes it's the right size EZ for the shafts I'm doing)... Thanks
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IS it me?? Fletching!

What vanes are you using with his arrows? Read the directions. Some vanes you need to clean the bases to get the oils off. How old and what type of glue? Just my opinion, but I don't like the Crazy glues. I like Fletchtite Platinum.

Sounds like you're cleaning the shafts OK and with the right cleaner. Although I've never used the fletching jig you have, if the vanes are making good contact with the shaft what jig used shouldn't pose a problem.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

I use the arizona ez fletch myself. No issues. I never have done aluminum though. Are you using a alum ez fletcher?
Chris
Old 02-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am not mistaken there is an EZ Fletch for just carbons (Carbon EZ Fletch)and then there is an EZ Fletch that can be adjusted andused on aluminums (EZ Fletch Pro). I am going to assume that you have the carbon one and cannot adjust for the thickness of the arrow.

Also, as BGFisher suggested I would clean the bases of the fletching with denatured alcohol.

A Bitzenburger can fletch any arrow and is adjustable.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had issues when I went from feathers to vanes on aluminum. I was cleaning with alcohol and they popped right off. I tried scuffing the fletch with scotch brite pads and that seemed ot help a lot. I was using the bohning platinum glue.

I use a bitz.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I had issues when I went from feathers to vanes on aluminum. I was cleaning with alcohol and they popped right off. I tried scuffing the fletch with scotch brite pads and that seemed ot help a lot. I was using the bohning platinum glue.

I use a bitz.
You can use alcohol, but be careful what type. Isoprophyl rubbing alcohol has oils in it. Use at least 91% which you can get at your local drug store. Denatured is better if you can get it.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have helped my dad with his aluminum arrows as well and have used a AZ ez fletch and what works for me is the goat tuff glue. It is expensive but it works. I let it sit in the Fletcher for at least 5 minutes. I have since switched to the bohning fletcher which is a plastic fletcher, a fraction of a Bitz and works well for me. I am not knocking the Bitz it is great I have used it but for what I could justify to the wife the bohning is a good one.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys appreciate the info..As I said I have the right EZ..I clean the vanes with denatured alcohol. I've let the sit in the fletcher overnight..still no good.. I've tried every glue someone suggests so I'll try the goat tuff.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Arizona fletcher. I like a lot of arrows done quick. I recommend the super glue Gel. It works great.You dont have to wait. I let the vanes touch and pull it off. I wipe the rest off with a paper towel and sit it aside.....Its good to go. To get them set up for glueing i use a razor blade. Then i give them a quick wash. You will get a dozen done in no time. I guarenttee you will have no issue with them coming off. I do 2 dozen every year. Just be sure to not make a mess on your fletcher. Need more info PM me.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Ive glued lots of Alum shafts(,2314,2315) with 4" vains useing Fletchtite and never have had a problem and it was all done with a Jo-Janor aBitz.....