Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fawn Bleat

Old 09-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Fawn Bleat

Has anyone had any sucess with a fawn bleat call in early october

Season starts in 8 Days
Old 09-23-2004, 07:36 PM

Default RE: Fawn Bleat

I've tried it the past few years and I can't say yet that it's worked at all for me. I'm still experimenting, though. Contact grunts and general social grunt are a different thing, though.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can try it, just know that many times out of maturnal instincts when they come in they come in mach 1. I saw video of it and it was nuts. The guy calling almost got run over by the does. I would have been nervous if I were him. They were feet from him running full bore.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a few this way. I have a fawn bleat that I use for Yote hunting and two weeks ago I jumped on while squirrel hunting. She ran about 50 yards, and when she jumped I knew she didn't get a real good look at me. I sat down immediately, and called to her with the fawn bleat. She came back and stood 20 yards away broadside trying to make out what I was. I also called in a nice spike several years ago with one, I saw a doe in a field several hundred yards away from my stand. I got down out of the stand and setup next to a tree stump and called to her. She wouldn't come in, but next thing I know there is a deer running in full bore behind me. I looked back and it was a spike only about 15 yards away. He saw me draw on him and when I hit the release, he was gone before the arrow got there....[:'(]

They do work though, I would imagine the early season is the best time to use one too.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM

I've had deer respond different ways to it. Ignore it, run in, run away, look in my direction curiously. I have had good luck with it mostly though. I always carry one. Sometimes it helps draw in those does that are just out of range. They also bring in the coyotes so be ready for a quick shot!