Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 buck gene's ????? >

buck gene's ?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck gene's ?????

Old 09-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Default buck gene's ?????

well i finally got a pic of a buck on my game cam and he is decent size body wise looks like a 2 yr old but his rack is messed up 3x2 the side with 3 is nice shape but very thin the other side looks like he was injured or has a birth defect so what i want to know is since he has a small thin rack should i go ahead and take him if i get the chance to keep him from passin on his genes or let him go to see if he gets better next year.

thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Default RE: buck gene's ?????

If it was me, I would let him go. If he injured his one side, it will fix itself next year, and he should be even bigger! If it is a birth defect, then next year you will know for sure, and then you can harvest him. JMO
Old 09-23-2004, 02:43 PM

Default RE: buck gene's ?????

If he's only 2 1/2 years onld he still need time to reach his potential. He'll also need quality food sources to promote growth.

Ultimately why you want to harvest him should answer your questions. Will you be happy takeing him? if so go ahead. Are you trying to protect the area gene pool and cull out subordinant bucks? Let him go and give him another year and I'm sure you'll be plesantly supprised.