Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far >

West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far

Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Spike

Default West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far

I arrived at our ranch on Oct 4th with my mind on one of two big/mature bucks on our low fence ranch in Glasscock county, Texas. One buck is a typical 11 point with an extra 1 inch kicker that will score in the 170's and the other is a non-typical 180's class buck. When I arrived at the cabin I found that the solar panel had not been charging the batteries to power the lights. So I used a regular lantern to see to warm up some soup for dinner and went to bed early. Over the next few days I hunted my "honey hole" stand that I had seen the big bucks many times on trail camera. But the bucks were not seen. I saw a mature eight and a young eight point regularly at the stand. I decided to hunt some other stands to see if they had switched patterns. At one stand where I had built a plywood box blind with shoot thru mesh, I consistently saw a high racked nine point with a nice spread. The more i looked at him I noticed he was at least 5.5 years old and I remembered he had been a nine point for years now (never progressed to a 10 like we like to see). A nice young 10 scoring around 140 was always with him. The buck came past my blind every time at the same times like clockwork. So I decided to take him the last night before going home. I waited in the stand and observed three 8 points, the ten point, five does and two fawns come by me and start feeding. They soon wandered away as the ten pont began tearing up a mesquite tree as light began to fade. I could not figure out where the nine point went. Just as I set down my bow, isn't that always how it happens, I heard a snort wheeze to my left. I leaned forward and looked out and it was the nine point. As the buck crossed a blind spot in my vision in the blind I drew my 75 lb. High Country Max extreme that was loaded with 5.5 gpi carbon max arrows and 55 grain broadheads. The deer began to feed as the arrow drove through his right shoulder and popped out the other side.I saw the buck run for 50 yards into the brush leaking that lovely red fluid. The other deer jumped but then came back and finished feeding since i stayed as quiet as I could. When I did not walk back to camp at dark, my buddy B.A. came to and picked me up in the Kawasaki mule. We trailed the deer a total of around 150 yards and found him. He weighed 165 lbs. before field dressing him (comes from all the protein we feed!) and was later scored by the Los Cazadores deer contest scorer at an even 150 P&Y. He is my best bow bcuk to date and I am thrilled!!!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far

Congrat's he's awsome..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Buck.. Congrats..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Site Buck Guru

Nice buck.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck! Congrats
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

WHERES THE BEEF!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice buck! I wish I could see some like him where I hunt in Texas. Congrats again on the really nice buck!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, gorgeous buck!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the great buck
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM

very nice

Quick Reply: West Texas buck down-biggest bow buck so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.