Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting >

Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

Old 09-22-2004, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

ORIGINAL: cardeer

Good ,a excellant decoy,especially if is a doe. Young meat for a dirty old buck
I've never seen a big buck go after a little fawn. I've seen young and imature bucks go after them. I've also seen her twin brother do the same, but never a big buck. It maybe the amount of deer I have below me but I don't think so. They are too young to breed.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:42 AM

I think the deer would help you out, deer are more relaxed when there are other deer around. If deer are in your area and see another deer feeding there, I would think they would be more prone to come on in. On a side note, I would be careful come muzzleloader and rifle season if that little joker is still following you around....thats a good way to get shot.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it will help or hinder. I had a situation like this once many years ago. Twins with no momma. They were like the greeting party everytime I stepped into the woods. Would literally walk within yards of them every day. Once going in before dark with a full moon, I nearly stepped on one bedded down, scared the living *^%& outta me. Eventually as the season went on they became less common and eventually went away.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:53 AM

We have raised a few fawns. One still comes around and brings her babies in with her. Another one though, he was out in a field while the neighbor was hunting and after seeing the hunter kill another deer, he never came back. See him every once in a while but he is more skiddish than most. If this deer is a buddy you want to keep around, Id leave him at home. One good thing is, I used to pet on the doe we had before going hunting and it covered some of my scent lol.