Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting >

Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

Old 09-21-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

I have a fawn on my property that does not have a mother, it is not afraid of me and hangs out around me when I am working around my cabin or out in the woods. It comes around every time i'm out in the woods. Noticed saturday its spots are gone now. Saturday it got within 20ft of my stand just watching me and eating. finally it gets board and walks away. Will this fawn act as a live decoy when I hunt or will it hurt my hunting? Is this odd or what?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

I could go eitherway with this. It can be a plus and a minus. Deer have great hearing and I they will alert you to anything approaching. Other deer also react to other deer by seeing how they are ie paniced or relaxed. It's another set of eyeballs,ears and nose. I've had deer bust me and then that alerted others to check me out. Sometimes they relax and don't worry about me. Other times they stomp and they all eat but one who keeps watch on me.

Fawns are tasty though.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

It should help your hunting. Much better then a decoy to my thinking. If you have watched deer, they usually are much jumpier when solo. Add another deer into the picture and they tend to relie on each other when looking for danger. In other words they tend to be much calmer then a solo deer since there are more eyes, ears and noses when it comes to danger. If that fawn is always calm around you, it will help give another deer a false sense of security in most respects. Well unless the other deer winds or busts you then all bets are off.

That fawn should be better then any rabbit foot for luck . LOL

Tim
Old 09-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Typical Buck

If you're going for the meat and your tag is valid, just put an arrow/bullet to it and call it good!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:54 PM

Don't name the food!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Fork Horn

You should have that little fella trained on a call by now. Would be neet having it bed under your tree. And were still aloud to be kind harted and let one walk once in a while!. I thing this would be a good one.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good ,a excellant decoy,especially if is a doe. Young meat for a dirty old buck
Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 AM

Sounds like the fawn has what the biologists call "Imprinted" on you Mr. Mom.
You could suckle it
Seriously, i would probaly let it grow up some.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:09 AM

if you want to keep it as a 'pet', see if you can get an orange collar on it so no one shoots it. i've seen what you are talking about on tv before, and thats what they did. that will only help your hunting. when deer see that eating and milling around un-alarmed, that's awesome. if you harvest a deer in front of it, i wonder if y'alls relationship will change. probably not. first time my dogs saw me cut one of our chickens heads off, they were real, real, real good for about a week. i mean i said it, and they obeyed like it was straight from on high. but then things just went back to normal.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i could see it helping nothing like a live decoy but i couls see it hurting you ie: looking up at you in the stand and other deer looking too

Quick Reply: Will a Fawn help or hurt my hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.