Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Damn Lefty's

Old 09-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Damn Lefty's

Hey any of you guys try teaching someone who is different handed than you. My son is a lefty and I am right handed. I bought him a bow and can't help him at all at getting it sited in. Naturally being a kid he always wants to blame the sight being off instead of just being inconsistant. He shoots left of the target most commonly. I can't move his site anymore than it is. He is also not consistantly left enough for me to believe it's his site.

If i try and shoot his bow, which is way too short for me and left handed, I can't hit the back yard!!!!

The funny part is he is better at 20 yards than 10.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Damn Lefty's

If a lefty but I shot right! Same when shooting a firearm. Go figure!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 PM

I myself am now a lefty I used to shoot right but I'm left eye is dominent so I taught myself to shoot left handed. It could be a couple of things I'm no expert but some of the things that I went through were a release is much smoother with a release aid rather than fingers, finger shooting takes a lot more practice because if your release is not smooth you can torque the string a get a bad arrow flight. try a release aid. next check his dominent eye just because he is left handed doesn't mean his left eye is dominent, other than that I had to take my bow into a pro shop and get it tuned and get his form checked to make sure it is consistent, sorry if that doesn't help those are just a few things I went through shooting right handed than going to left hended. Good Luck
Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what to tello about teaching a lefty but the fact that he is shooting better at 20 yards than at 10 yards probably indicates a tuning issue. The arrow is probably having some erratic flight at 10 yards and then straightening up at 20.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:09 AM

I'm far from an expert, but I do recall when I first started shooting my bow that my arrows would occasionally fly to the right (I'm right-handed). A buddy of mine watched closely, and after a few fliers that went right he told me I was "collapsing" - relaxing my bow arm too soon.

I began mentally reminding myself to "hold through the shot", and cured my right fliers.

Since I'm right handed, and they went to the right, and your son is left handed and his are going left I thought this might help .... but like I said, I'm no expert.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:54 AM

Nothing wrong with us leftys. Everyone is born right handed and only the great ones turn left.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:08 AM

He shoots left of the target most commonly. I can't move his site anymore than it is. He is also not consistantly left enough for me to believe it's his site.
Just a thought....instead of trying to move the sight so far over, you may want to try moving the rest a little bit over instead and line everything up. Only thing I can suggest is shoot at 10 yards or less until he gets that down and then move back to 12-15 and then get those shots and alignment down and keep moving back. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Hey go easy on us leftys. I am a lefty and I teach industrial arts to predominately right handed middle school students, try that. Any ways, use his opposite shooting style to your advantage. Stand beside him and mirror what he is doing. This may help you see where he is going wrong. Also if he needs help have him mirror you. If you stand behind him it is going to look totally strange that is why I would stand to the side.
Secondly, I would start at the root. Look at his bow and make sure it is tuned. If it is, check his form. (Same Knock point, good follow through, ect.) If all else fails try a new sight. Find a good one you can afford and sorta talk it up building his confidence in it.
Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:52 PM

I'm a lefty and I've taught myself. When I have a bad shot I try to think what I might have done different. I'm learning to figure these mistakes out and my shooting is much improved.
I don't know what to suggest to help except perhaps watching him shoot looking thru a mirror. Perhaps you can get a better perspective that way...
You didn't give the boys age - it will be much harder to teach a young boy compared to a teen. It's hard for the younger ones to concentration on form I imagine.