Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions? >

Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

Ok gang....anyone who is a regular user here has probably seen my posts asking for opinions on my "all around" deer/hog rifle.
First of all, thank you VERY much for all the feedback. It's been greatly appreciated.
I've got my rifle choices narrowed down to 2 or 3, but availability seems to be a REAL issue.
The Remington XCR (now available in a left handed model) seems to be completely unavailable to order. Trying to locate a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in a left handed model has gone NOWHERE with the X-Bolt coming out. Its been so frustrating that I've started really considering going with a Ruger #1 in the stainless/laminate model since they're good for lefty's and righty's.......then I got to thinking.

I would say 75% of my hunting has been done with a RIGHT HANDED bolt action rifle....and I've done well with one so far. I'm sure if I ever needed a second shot that I could cycle that bolt just like I've always done quicker than reaching for another round to load into that Ruger #1.

So, I'm just wondering how many left handed shooters/hunters are out there each year using a "backwards" right handed bolt action and if you folks have ever found yourself handicaped doing so.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

That's how I started but after getting a left hand bolt a number of years ago thats all I buy now for a CF. I do have a few right handed bolts still, if a tang safety is used no big whoop but the rem. or mauser side safety's I don't like on the wrong side. My partner on the other hand has just stuck with rights off the left side, his gunsuse tang safety's( browning, savage, mossberg, etc). Have you tried asking your shop or shops to order you a LHer?? Browning is still making Abolts and as of now to my knowledge they are the only browning LH offering for a bolt gun. I suspect eventually the xbolt will replace it but not just yet. As far as the XCR LH it's so new that supply and demand will cause some issues I suspect initially. Another option is gunbroker, gunsamerica, etc though not sure the details required for purchasing/receiving.

Since you mentioned a Ruger #1have you looked for either aMK77 and/or Hawkeye both have LH versions. Nothing wrong with a #1 though, fine firearm indeed if you don't care about not having a mag. Savage is another one with more then a few LHers and Tikka T3's also have numerous chamberings for southpaws.

As far as handicap, if your use to the opposite side bolt throw and the gun fits/functions well for you thats all that really matters. However if you settle you may never be happy either. Only you can make this call...Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted southpaw with a right-handed bolt for years without a problem. I never felt handicapped by it. That being said, I've hunted with a Browning B-78 single shot for 30 years and never had a problem with that either. And I've shot plenty of deerwith the second shot. I put one of those 5 round slieves on the buttstock. I can reload almost as fast as a bolt.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot lefty and always used righty firearms. My Savage .308 rifle is a righty bolt action. It doesn't bother me one bit. My Remington 870 12GA is also righty. And my old boyhood Marlin model 60 .22 rifle is righty as well. When my dad taught me how to shoot the old Marlin, he showed me how to bend my right elbow down a hair, so I wouldn't get biffed by ejecting shells. The other firearms are fine as they are bolt and pump actions.

As far as being backwards... Think of it like this: Jimi Hendrix played a righty guitar, flipped upside down and restrung lefty, and made some fantastic music with it! [8D] Using a righty bolt action rifle is no different. You can still bag a beautiful 10 point buck shooting lefty with a righty firearm.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 AM
DM

As a kid, istarted out with RH bolt guns, but when i got more interested in hunting DG (brown bears) on a regular basis, i figured there HAD to be a better way...

I bought a new LH 700 Rem. chambered in 7mm Rem. Mag.. And then 45 boxes of ammo from a guy that had loaded them too hot, for 2 bucks a box. I pulled all the bullets, lowered the load, and put them back together... By the time the last round was fired, i was hooked, and it was easy tosee how much those RH guns were handicapping me!

I hunt with all LH guns today... (except when i take an old one out for nostalgia)

DM
Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 AM

I shoot from both sides, and don't notice much difference. If you are already used to using a RH bolt rifle, it should be no problem. BUT If you are going to spend money on a new rifle, go ahead and wait to get the LH model. You will hopefully have it a long time, be as comfortable as possible shooting. My grandpa was a lefty, back when LH rifles were more scarce. He spent his life shooting levers and pumps to compensate.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I've hunted for two years now. Started in 2006. I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30.06. I'm sure anyone can do the job with a gun made for the opposite hand, but Iam personally more comfortable shooting a gun made for me as a left hander.Us lefty's are lucky today to have the availability of guns manufactured for us. Dowhat is most comfortable and logical for you. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've hunted with a few RH bolts and didn't worry about it too much. A have a safe full of leftys now and only one RH (in rifles anyway). All my shotguns are still RH. I also have a Ruger #1.
If your guy can't get you a lefty Browning A-bolt go somewhere else. Its seems like he's trying to snow you. And don't overlook Savage. And they are making the American Classic in LH now.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up shooting RH bolt actions as a lefty. I never thought about it too much until I had the opportunity to actually shoot a LH bolt.

All I can say is that while you certainly can shoot a RH bolt left handed, if given the choice I would shoot a LH bolt every day and twice on Sunday. The ability to cycle the bolt without having to dismount the gun or trying to support the front of the gun with your left hand while you cycle with your right is a definite plus.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think nowadays there are so many lefty rifles available to choose from that picking one of the lefty models wouldn't feel like a sacrifice.

Also cant find a rem xcr? good! ugliest looking rifle out there, maybe theyre discontinuing it? hopefully......

All I can say is look around, plenty of lefty rifles out there.

Quick Reply: Lefty's hunting with right handed bolt actions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.