Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I Change 'Em ? >

Should I Change 'Em ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I Change 'Em ?

Old 09-17-2004, 03:25 PM

Default Should I Change 'Em ?

This may sound like a dumb queston, but I'm really not sure. So, here it goes. The strings on my bow are at least 4 years old. I haven't been able to hunt for the last 2 years. Should I automatically get these changed or is there a chance they're still good? How long should they last? Like I said, I really haven't shot in the last 2 years. Sorry if this is a stupid question, just want to make sure I do the right thing. CH
Old 09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I Change 'Em ?

yes , your supposed to get a new string atleast every 2 seasons , but its recommended every year!!!

Think of it like tires on your car , only not as used ofcourse , would u keep the same set on for multiple years? thats waht the lady at the pr shop told me!
Old 09-18-2004, 05:02 PM

Inspect them closely for frayed or separated strands. If there are none, wax it up and keep it on there. I see no logical reason to change out a perfectly good string and then have to spend time shooting in the new string and re-tuning the bow. If you are unsure, take it to your local pro-shop and have them inspect it for you. Most pro-shop owners I have had experience with are honest folks who will tell you if the string is still good and won't just tell you to get a new one so they can sell it to you.

If you haven't shot it in a couple years, you might want to go ahead and take it in to get it tuned up anyway. If you are spending money in their shop, I would think you are even more likely to get an honest appraisal of the string.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with what horn bow said.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a lot and I only change mine every 4-5 years or when it is warn.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just had my string bust thursday night! I had it in the shop that day, there was no sign of wear. I waxed it ritually! It was 3.5 years old! I got very lucky it didn't blow up when I was shooting it. I just set it down next to me and 5 seconds later out of the blue, BOOM! Freaked me out big time! I thought I would get one more season out of it. Lessoned Learned! I will change every other season! I do shoot alot though. If it breaks you need to start from scratch. If you change it before it breaks you do have somewhat of a starting point. Avoid the noid and change it! JMO