Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't shoot dogs!!! >

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Old 09-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Don't shoot dogs!!!

Hey guys. Just want to remind everyone that this season there will be many hunters out there, not just us bowhunters... I for example, will be hunting with my squirrel dog. His job is to trail squirrels to the tree and bark treed when he's got 'em up there. He barks 'til I get to him and shoot out the squirrel. However, no public land hunter has the right, or good reason, to shoot another man's hunting dog who is hunting legally. I don't like a ruined hunt, but I will not shoot a hunting dog. Some will be loud, such as treedogs and beagles, but remember, their masters are doing what they love, which is the same thing deer hunters love - hunting. Just a reminder for everyone to think before potentially ruining another hunter's season. -MIKE
Old 09-16-2004, 01:19 AM

Default RE: Don't shoot dogs!!!

Hey, squirrel/grouse hunters don't bother me much... I think i've had you guyz push as many deer twards me as away from me.

-Good luck this season!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Darn, There goes The USA Dawg Hunters Season.

I don't mind the dogs in the woods. They can help you and they can hurt you. The one thing that is always true, they keep the deer moving. It's all part of the hunting expirience.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't give a single dog a second look ,
or even 2 or 3 , but an obviously feral pack is fair game here . We have problems with feral dogs attacking livestock , deer , and occasionally people .

If there's more than 3 they're shot by me .
Old 09-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

However, no public land hunter has the right, or good reason, to shoot another man's hunting dog who is hunting legally.
You are ofcourse correct in this statement and I definitely would not consider shooting one unless its intent was obviously to attack me. However, I am curious as to why you posted this here. Do you think that bowhunters tend to shoot dogs for no particular reason?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:50 AM

However, I am curious as to why you posted this here. Do you think that bowhunters tend to shoot dogs for no particular reason?
PAB, there was a debate on another forum and this guy shot a dog. Swears it was rabid and "coming right for him" (if you've seen SouthPark). There was a big debate and most guys said they shoot dogs on the spot. I think it's BS. Most of the time I've seen people freak out over dogs it was all in the persons head. SOme people are just plain scared of dogs and will do IDIOTIC stuff like that. I have two German Shepards who, once out of the yard, wouldn't hurt a fly. I am certain if one of them walked under someones stand they would shoot. Most dogs are just misunderstood.

Hey SWOSU, maybe a hunters orange jacket for your dog would help. Not like you should have to but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe even paint "Squirrel Dog" in big letters on the side, just so people don't think it's wild or after deer. I'd hate to loose my dog and feel sorry for the guy that shoots him. They would be in a world of pain.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Solax,

Thank you for the explanation. I now understand the direction and the reason for the post. Truth be told, there were several heated discussions regarding shooting dogs and cats in the wild when hunting...on various forums. Where I hunt, small game hunters are in the woods regularly so a dog is not an unusual sight. I cannot imagine shooting one. However, I can also imagine that there are some areas of the country where there are wild dog problems. In which case a dog running through the woods may not be a welcome sight.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 AM

A big dog lover but I don't think dogs and Deer season are a good combo. To me it is right up there with setting the woods on fire and see what runs out the other side. As long as it is legal though then I can't do much more than voice my opinion. I hunt private land so if I was to see any dogs chasing game they would be done.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:29 AM

I think it's a great time to post to the dog owners of the world hunting season is a perfect time to practice controling your pets. Hunting dogs are obviuosly that, hunting dogs and it's easy to tell a hunting dog. Then there are dogs that belong to slobs that roam the world and pay no attention to property lines. These dogs should not be shot. They should be reported and the owners should pay a fine for breaking the laws. In both Maine & New Hampshire is it illegal to shoot a domestic dog and will result in a loss of hunting privledges for as much a 5 years.

I've in the past call animal control about a neighbors. Words were exchanged and as a result of the situation an invisable dog fence was installed this summer. Talk to the dog owners, talk to animal control but don't shoot a domestic dog. Hit them where it hurts most.(no, not the boiler room) In the wallet.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about shooting dogs, especially hunting dogs, there just doing what there suppose to do. However, I have been attacked and didn't hesitate to shoot to save my butt. If I see a dog with coyotes or with coyote breeding, he's a goner. I shoot the dog before the coyote.

Quick Reply: Don't shoot dogs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.