Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't shoot dogs!!! >

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 09:22 AM

Default RE: Don't shoot dogs!!!

Once, during shotgun season back when I lived in NY, I was hunting from a permanent platofrm stand about 20 feet up. One of the neighbor's dogs followed my trail and then sat at the bottom of the tree barking his fool head off.

What a pain in the axx !

So I did what I thought was necessary.

Zzzzzzip ....... wizzz .....

I guess he didn't like me peein' on him because he left pretty quick.

I still laugh about it.

And before someone starts jumpin on me about being disgusting or whatever, dogs roll in all sorts of stinky dead stuff, so my pee wasn't all that bad, the dog didn't get hurt, and I continued to hunt.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

HEHEHEHE I agree, dont shoot the dogs. Pee'in on the dog must of felt great!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:40 AM
etw

I didn't shoot but everyone I tell this story to asks "why not?"
I was bow hunting on federal property in Texas and made a good hit on a doe. I waited for an hour in my tree stand and heard the deep constant barking of a dog coming from the direction of my arrowed deer. I followed the blood trail and came upon the deer, still alive leaning against a tree and a large yellow lab circling and barking. I finished the deer from about 20 yards and when she fell the lab pounced on it. As I approached he turned to face me, crouched over the deer, lips curled, snarling. I backed off and he proceeded to eat an entire rear ham of my deer. This was a large, male, yellow lab wearing a collar with tags. When he was full he just walked off. I gutted the much lighter doe and went to the check station. End of story. Would you have shot Fido?
I might add that we are required to have our name and address on our arrows.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use to have wild dogs in my area, i peppered a couple and havent seen em since.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys I know that I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but if I catch a dog chasing deer through my neck of the woods I'll down it in a heart beat. I have no problem with squirrel dogs, bird dogs, rabbit dogs or any other hunting dog but in WV it's illegal to run deer with a dog so shame on thier butt if they are chasing deer around me.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my name you can tell im a dog person. However I wont tolerate a mean dog. Most squirrel dogs are great around people or are just a one person dog and wont want to be around another person. I can understand shooting a pack of wild dogs, they are a problem that needs to be taken care of. Most hunting dogs will/should/better be deer broke. So I dont think you will see many hunting dogs running deer, unless they are young dogs. Ive only had one encounter with dogs while deer hunting and they wherent after deer. Of course they are the landowners dogs so it wouldnt of mattered.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: adams

I think it's a great time to post to the dog owners of the world hunting season is a perfect time to practice controling your pets. Hunting dogs are obviuosly that, hunting dogs and it's easy to tell a hunting dog. Then there are dogs that belong to slobs that roam the world and pay no attention to property lines. These dogs should not be shot. They should be reported and the owners should pay a fine for breaking the laws. In both Maine & New Hampshire is it illegal to shoot a domestic dog and will result in a loss of hunting privledges for as much a 5 years.

I've in the past call animal control about a neighbors. Words were exchanged and as a result of the situation an invisable dog fence was installed this summer. Talk to the dog owners, talk to animal control but don't shoot a domestic dog. Hit them where it hurts most.(no, not the boiler room) In the wallet.

I grew up in Maine (Skowhegan/Canaan area mostly) and dogs roaming free in the woods are routinely shot. As you probably know, there is a problem with dogs chasing (and killing) deer, especially in the deep snow. My stepfather and I were told (by a game warden) to shoot any free roaming dogs we saw in the woods for that reason. Just running around free in the woods was considered prima facia evidence the dog was chasing deer. There is a leash law in Maine and Coon hunting is pretty much the only hunting done with dogs up there and that is done at night. There is no legal justification for letting your dog run free in the woods during the day up there.

On a side note, we surprised 3 dogs feeding at a freshly killed doe carcass later that year and my stepfather shot all three with his .243 rifle. It certainly appeared the warden had a point. They had hamstrung that doe and literally ate it alive.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: etw

I didn't shoot but everyone I tell this story to asks "why not?"
I was bow hunting on federal property in Texas and made a good hit on a doe. I waited for an hour in my tree stand and heard the deep constant barking of a dog coming from the direction of my arrowed deer. I followed the blood trail and came upon the deer, still alive leaning against a tree and a large yellow lab circling and barking. I finished the deer from about 20 yards and when she fell the lab pounced on it. As I approached he turned to face me, crouched over the deer, lips curled, snarling. I backed off and he proceeded to eat an entire rear ham of my deer. This was a large, male, yellow lab wearing a collar with tags. When he was full he just walked off. I gutted the much lighter doe and went to the check station. End of story. Would you have shot Fido?
I might add that we are required to have our name and address on our arrows.
Without hesitation.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is truly a pain here, lots of dogs and bird hunters after the 2nd week of the season, but its their season too and I respect it. Also, lots of people training their bird dogs before then, but no where near as many as when the small game season starts. On a positive note, they do move the deer some. The one time I wanted to shoot a dog, I really would rather have had the owner cited. I follow the law when I hunt, and I believe everyone, non-hunters included need to do the same. I was spring turkey hunting on a rather slow day, when I finally located and set-up on a hot Tom. Finally got him coming in when out of the blue come two dogs wearing orange collars heading right for him! Obviously, the bird got quiet. Off in the distance, Mr. Owner on a mountain bike comes down the trail. That time of year, unleashed dogs in the WMA are NOT legal. I kept my head tho, and just shut up and sat still. I suspect the Tom did too. When I resumed calling about 5 minutes later, I got a single gobble, which I believe translated to "goodbye" in english.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM

I posted this topic because, though deer hunting is about my favorite thing to do, I know that we bowhunters can get pretty bent out of shape when things get disrupted in the woods. It's our human nature, and it's alright to admit it. We want things to go our way. If we see another hunter running around making noise, we get angry. If we see coyotes running deer, we get angry, and if we see a dog, we may get angry, too. I won't hunt my dog during any rifle season, nor will I have him on public land much during bowseason, except maybe from 10 o' clock on into the early afternoon. Still, I dred that someone who thinks that "their" woods are being disrupted will stick my old pup. I just simply wanted to remind everyone that more than just deer season will be goin' on this year. Not becuase bowhunters are jerks (I'm a bigtime bowhunter), but because they are human. Thanks for all the replies...It has made for some good reading. -MIKE

Quick Reply: Don't shoot dogs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.