Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails. >

Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails.

Talking with nephew tonight; he informed me that a co-worker and fellow bowhunter broke his back when he fell while hanging a stand this past weekend. Apparently, the guy broke four vertebrae.

It was said the person was using a less expensive (3) 6-feet sectioned "climbing stick" (unknown brand) to hang the stand. Subject was on the top section when a strap/rope that was anchoring the top of the climbing stick broke. The top section leaned back and the top section snapped where it was joined with the middle section.

Do yours and yourself a huge favor; do not use cheap gear when life and limb are at risk, and check the condition of all stands and any related climbing equipment before using. Do routine inspections during season.

I once had a fellow bowhunter luckily escape serious injury as he started to climb into the stand while still dark. Apparently, someone had tried to steal his stand during the night. They had cut the safety straps that was holding the stand on the tree, but could not bust the padlock that was securing a chain that was wrapped around the seat supports. When friend stepped onto the stand, the stand swiveled on the tree and kicked out from under his foot. Luckily he was still firmly grasping a screw-in step. He had a few abrasions on his face. but that was all...other than he ruined a good pair of underwear.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails.

Man I hate to hear that[&o].

I've been preaching against the stands that are being shipped from overseas to save a buck for sometime now. Nobody seams to care anymore.

I really doubt the same time,energy and scrutiny is placed into the manufacturing of the stand with the safety of the user being as high of a priority as it is with the domestically made stands.

I still say "made in china = no thanks"

I'll spend the extra buck or two, I trust only other Americans when my life is on the line.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:09 AM

Your point about Safety First really hit home with me C903, thank you.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:37 AM

A fellow around here fell while getting into his stand last year and still hasn`t recovered. Broke his back than while in the hospital got pnumonia, he`s had an uphill battle since. We`ve all took chances but as I get older I think about the risks more.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:57 AM

I hate to hear stories like this. A few percautions and this could have been avoided. As much as it sucks and is combersome we should all be wearing a harness when we leave the ground. I'm guilty of not always wearing my harness until I get up in the stand. Things like this will make you think. #1 priority is returning home to our famlies safely.

Thanks for sharing this info C903. The timing couldn't be better.Everyone be safe out there.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that scares the bejesus outta me!! [][&:]

c903, you're post really speaks volumes and is a great "wake up" call to all bowhunters. I remember watching a video and Stan Potts (I think) was talking about tree stand safety. He said something that blew me away.... {rough quote} 33% of all hunters, at some point in time, will fall from a tree stand! That is 3 out of 10! Those statistics are way too high. We all must make safety a #1 priority not for ourselves but for other hunters as well".

Butch A.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago a buddy of mine fell 25ft from his treestand and was knocked unconsious for 4hrs. Thankfully he awoke to find no major injuries (few cracked ribs) but was able to get himself out of the woods and to a hospital. He did not wear a harness and just happened to doze off in his stand that day which led to the fall. [&:]

And always make sure someone knows where you'll be hunting. I actually draw a map for my wife. You just never know what could happen.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

That Sucks! Remember people....be careful out there!

Thanks for the heads up c903.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:48 AM

Safety must always be our first concern. I have this drilled into me evryday. My closest friend growing up fell from a stand when he was 17. He broke his back and has been in a wheel chair ever since. No saftey belt. He still hunts from a golf cart but I have never climbed without a safety belt since then. All it takes is one look as he transfers from a wheel chair to a hunting vehicle to drill the point home.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Tough break ,
I hope he recovers . This perfectly underscores the old axiom: Always check your gear first !

Quick Reply: Bowhunter breaks back when "climbing stick" fails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.