Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 early seson calling >

early seson calling

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

early seson calling

Old 09-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default early seson calling

i am new to bow hunting and october 1 is opening day in iowa so my question is what if any call should you use this early. will rattling work or a grunt tube. any recomandations on wich one to get and what brand. i only have the first three weeks of the seson to hunt do to military camitmants so any help in a quick score would be awsome.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: early seson calling

It has been my experience here in Nebraska that early rattling or doe bleats do not work. In fact may alarm deer. Deer do vocalize all the time and light grunts may attract the curiosity of some, but don't count on it.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM

Sometimes calls work sometimes they don't. To bring does in, a fawn distress call works well. Grunt calls that time of year bring in small bucks that have been run off by bigger bucks. They hear it and are looking for a friend.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here in PA I've successfully called and rattled in bucks the opening weekend of Oct. The one thing you don't want to do is be aggressive. Deer are social animals and vocalize throughout the year. Don't be afraid to use grunts, bleats and bawls but again, soft, sutle and non aggressive calling is the key.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:24 PM

And if possible set up close to a water source... with it still being on the hotter side of the season you stand a good chance of catching one coming down for a sip
Old 09-05-2004, 08:34 PM

In my personal experience, calling in early season just isnt effective at all. In fact, i dont rely on calling deer anyime of the season. I have had success with rattling in the past, but where I hunt, the deer only respond to rattling a few days or so during the rut, other than that, it can sometimes cause negative results.
Concentrate solely on food and water. Try to find a well cut trail going from bed to feed, and hunt the wind.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:25 PM

I agree i rattled in bucks early,with soft grunts.Just imagine to youngs bucks sparring playfully you dont need to hit them harder than that