Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early Season Elk-Calling >

Early Season Elk-Calling

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Elk-Calling

Old 07-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Early Season Elk-Calling

I am going on an Elk hunt the week of August 25th, this is the first time I have hunted this area at that time of year for elk. The elk are very much there but I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on calling elk in the early season? The heavy call stage usually takes place in the middle of september. This area is not a glass and stalk area, but rather forest/valley area that the elk come out to the east to feed. I have hunted here in rifle season and have taken 2 bulls via call but this was closer to full rut. I have already set up treestands on game trails leading to the food source and was wondering about calling that I may do to bring an elk my location.

Anybody have any experience with calling elk early in the season during archery? What calls would you suggest?

I have diaphram, bugle tube and cow squezze calls at my disposal.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Early Season Elk-Calling

skeeter, this is a very good question, i have learned from experiance this is a very tough time to hunt, and if I had my choice for archery, would be as late as
posibale before the gun season opens, or as long as archery runs, for your area,
but in your situation, stand sights, and setups to feeding areas sound like your
best bet,, rifle hunting and bow are like you know, 2 diferent animals, and i have found early season movment to be very supressed, lite cow calls and nothing to agressive would be my sugestion, and play that wind,,,, first and formost,, good luck, hope you bag a good one,,
Old 07-27-2003, 04:31 PM

I have hunter elk as early as 23 of Aug. in Oregan. I have also called them in that early. The way I look at it your not going to get an answer unless you call. Guys that I have hunted with say I call too much but 16 bulls in 20 years with a bow isn' t too bad, I think I' ll keep call' n.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys.

elkhunt, what calls would you suggest or have you used in the past? How close is it your full call stage, archery season?

Although I would like to hold out for a good bull, this looks to be my only elk hunt due to work commitments, etc this fall. So come mid week I am sure if a cow presented me a good shot, I wouldn' t hesitate to long. I was thinking if things are going slow, I may try calf calls to entice a cow to come looking for the lost calf...would you suggest such a calling technique? Or stick to bulls and cow calls?