Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how do you hunt solo? >

how do you hunt solo?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you hunt solo?

Old 08-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do you hunt solo?

first off.........how old r u???? Second.........i wish i had a father to hunt with, my dad died when i was 8yrs old and i am 25 now and would like a father more than anything else in the world right now, so take his advice and take what he says as gospel, he wont be around forever.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:49 PM

My dad can't hunt with me. He is way to busy. Everyday he has to go to work for 12 hours. We can go shoot ducks but as soon as it's over he has to work. We are going on a dove hunt, but that's about as deep in it as he can get. Went turkey hunting but could only stay for a short while. His work needed him. I wish I could hunt with him.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

solo hunting rules.

1. i dont care how far away from civilization you want to get, remember that hiker who had to cut his own hand off to get out of the desert? that could have been avoided by carying some sort of phone! they can be set to vibrate OR turned off untill you need it... there is no reason you should be out without one especially when sharp objects are used (ie razor sharp broad heads!)
2. ALWAYS leave a map with a loved one and make sure its comunicated when you EXPECT to be home every night! the map will tell pretty much how they can get thru the property to you or your stand with the least amount of wondering around. the next best thing is to SHOW someone EXACTLY where your stand is or stands ARE!
3. always carry enough water and food for ABOUT two days, this can be anything from a few apples to alot of beef jerky.. i personally pack 4 extra apples, 1 pound of venison jerky(good protien) and soem vegitables and fruit, carrots, celery, grapes, and my favorite is bananna nut bread. this is more for the places where there is a long way to get to your stand or hike out. i did this when i had to hike 3 miles into the property that i hunted. most of it was trail hiking but still needed lots of water.
4. its always a good idea to hunt WITH someone but if thats not the option i would RECOMEND a hunter saftey course or even a wilderness survival course. MOST colleges will teach the wilderness courses.. if not there might be a way that you can take one from the DNR in your area. they are a great way of learning about the tricks you can do to stay alive in any situation.

if there are more and i missed them please feel free to bring them up, as SAFTEY should be OUR number 1 proiority as hunters.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Spike

Tell him the spot where ur going and see about getting a cell phone...at least there will be that ability to get help or call for it if need be...i primarily hunt by myself for bow...just remember that you are by your self and be extra careful in the decisions that you make...climbing too high in a tree, crossing a big stream...
Old 09-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem with my family and girlfriend. When I hunt alone it always causes problems. I feel out one time from 20 feet and they have reason to complain. It happend around five am and I was damn lucky that I am still athletic enough to land a good way. I got up checked myself and climbed right back up. The lesson I learned is to check your permenate stands every year and during the season. The stand was put up the year before and I gambled thank god I survived!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I am a solo hunter too most of the time but, my grandfather and brother-in-law both know exactly where my stands are. If word isn't heard from me in a while they know where to look, just in case. Take your dad to your hunting spots and show him how to get there and tell him "if I am not back by such and such come and get me" . That will ease his mind, it helped with my wife by showing grandpa and my brother-in-law.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

q
Old 09-02-2004, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, how old are you?
If you are 14 or 15, then you must honor your father. If you are 16 or older, then you and your father should compromise so that both are satisfied with the issue. Buy a buddy stand and sit with your Dad a time or two. Tell Pops that time waits for no man and every moment you two share is one that can't be lost to time. No man is a slave to his job. If his job NEEDS him so badly, it also NEEDS him to be refreshed and happy and not at odds with his family. If the wheels don't get oiled once in awhile they will quit turning prematurely. Don't be selfish either in that sometimes kids want what they want, all the time. You have to understand your Dads responsibility to provide for you and keep you from harm. You will be grown very soon, sooner than you realize. so be patient, son....