Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how do you hunt solo? >

how do you hunt solo?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how do you hunt solo?

Old 08-30-2004, 12:04 AM

Default how do you hunt solo?

I can't convince my dad to let me bowhunt by myself. I hunt in an area where no one else hunts, and it is really pretty easy to get to, and I have been going there for years. I am also a hell of a woodsman and probabley would fare better in the woods then anyone i know.

He said he can't force me to go, but he wishes with all his heart that i won't. I can't go against that, but if there was a way to convince him otherwise... who know's???? If i can't convince him than my season is over before it even starts and all my practice down the drain. How do I get him to settle down about be bowhunting solo?

I already proposed:

Hunt from the ground
Leave instructions and the time I will make contact by.
Don't go in or out in the dark...

ect.../
I can't think of anything else.
I need something that will calm him down.....

thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 12:33 AM

Default RE: how do you hunt solo?

Idaho, it's good to see young hunters on these sites. It sounds like your dad is concerned with your safety and there is nothing wrong with that. Take heart, before you know it you will be telling your kid what to do. When your older you can do what you want, until then listen to your dad. I'm sure you will still have a good season.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is carrying a cell phone out of the question??
Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 AM

Your age?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I was wondering your age also,But I have the same problem with my family.Im 67 and disabled and I just let them know where I am. I go out to get away from the crazy world,so in my little hide out stay away family. I thought of cell phone already, NA I dont even like a phone in the home.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:23 PM

When my girlfriend gives me a hard time about bowhunting, I tell her I could go to the bar instead. That usually calms her down.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Invite Dad to go with you and share a groundblind. My guess is that he is #1. Concerned about your safety, and #2. Doesn't like the idea of you getting too independent, dads like to do fun stuff with their kids.

By taking him along, at least the first few times anyway you can show him that you are safe, the area that you are hunting etc. If he isn't a hunter ask him to bring along; a. binoculars so he can scope out the game with you. b. a camera for photos of your quarry c. a video camera to tape the shot or to veiw footage of animals at home that were too far out of range.
You never know, you might get one of the best lifelong hunting partners that you could ever want.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go anyway your a man don't listen to him just go. Only kidding. I'm not sure how old you are but he sounds like he is just worried about you And if you're hunting in Idaho he's probably right to be worried. Hang in there you'll have plenty of time to hunt by yourself, but your dad won't always be there.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:04 PM

I would agree with handles, in fact he took the words out of my keyboard.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

well if his concerns are about the same as my wife's I would also remind him that it is drastically different to go hunting during bow season than rifle season. The way I put it to her is that bow hunting is so much more difficult that rifle season that, for the most part (granted not ALL by any means), the hunters out there are much more serious and wouldn't & couldn't shoot at a shady form they see through 2 tree lines 300 yards away.

In other words I try to re-assure her that it's not at all like worrying about being shot in the dark like you could be worried about (should be?) when rifle hunting... Also, I promise to wear a safety harness and be careful.

These things settle her down...

Quick Reply: how do you hunt solo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.